Deadline: January 10, 2018
Applications for Financial Assistance and Scholarships to attend the Girl Up Leadership Summit 2018 are open now. From July 8-11, 2018 more than 350 passionate youth advocates from around the world will convene for the 7th annual Girl Up Leadership Summit in Washington, D.C. For three jam-packed days, these young change-makers will participate in leadership training, learn from influential speakers, engage in skills-based workshops, and lead an official lobby day on Capitol Hill.
Through mentorship by Girl Up experts, celebrity champions, women trailblazers, and gender equality experts, Summit participants will gain core leadership skills, training in community-building and advocacy, and experience interacting with members of Congress on Capitol Hill. The Summit strives to empower, educate and embolden the potential of every youth leader there.
2018 Leadership Summit Financial Assistance
Girl Up is committed to diversity and inclusion. They know that achieving global gender equality is only possible by building a diverse, inclusive, and effective movement.
All eligible youth interested in attending the 2018 Girl Up Leadership Summit, to be held July 8-11 in Washington D.C., are invited to apply for general need-based financial Aid and/or for a need-based regional scholarship.
- Need-Based Regional Scholarships: Need-based general financial assistance is open to everyone (youth ages 12-22) with demonstrated financial need. To support youth from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds in underrepresented geographic regions, Girl Up is introducing four regional scholarships. US-based scholarships will be awarded to one applicant in each US region. The International Scholarship will be awarded to up to three applicants.The scholarship will include the following:
- Roundtrip flight to and from hometown airport to Washington D.C. (booked directly by Girl Up)
- Three nights of shared lodging at the official Summit hotel (to be booked directly by Girl Up)
- Transportation to and from the airport to the official Summit hotel
- Compensated Leadership Summit registration fee
- $50 stipend (in the form of a check) to be used for dinners
- General Need-Based Financial Assistance: Girl Up provides partial financial assistance to supplement registration fees, travel, and lodging costs associated with the Girl Up Leadership Summit (up to $1,000 per person). There is a limited amount of financial assistance available, and not all applicants will receive assistance. Awardees are responsible for booking their own accommodations and need-based assistance will be issued by Girl Up in the form of a reimbursement check. All applicants will be notified of their application status by January 30, 2018.
- Youth ages 12-22 interested in attending the Summit
- Must have demonstrated need of financial support
Need-based regional scholarships:
- These highly selective full scholarships are open to high school students residing in the following regions:
- International – Any resident and citizen of any country outside of the United States and its territories*
- U.S. Southwest – residents of Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Nevada, Utah, Colorado
- U.S. Southeast – residents of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia
- U.S. Midwest – residents of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Indiana
*If you are a citizen of the US but reside elsewhere, you are not eligible.
- You must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered for the need-based regional scholarships:
- Must be entering the US equivalent to grades 9-12 (high school or secondary school)
- Must live/reside in one of the above regions and/or specific states listed
- Must be able to attend the entire Leadership Summit (July 8-11, 2018)
Awardees will be judged on:
- their demonstrated financial need
- the quality of their essays
- their demonstrated leadership potential, and
- their commitment to gender equality and social justice.
Join hundreds of young leaders from across the U.S. and around the world for the 2018 Girl Up Leadership Summit in Washington D.C.
General Need-Based Financial Assistance
Need-Based Regional Scholarships
- Apply for the US Southwest Regional Scholarship
- Apply for the US Southeast Regional Scholarship
- Apply for the US Midwest Regional Scholarship
- Apply for the International Regional Scholarship
Any questions can be submitted to [email protected].
For more information, visit 2018 Girl Up Leadership Summit.