King Baudouin Foundation African Development Prize 2018/2019 (€200,000 Award)
Deadline: March 1, 2018
Nominations are now invited for the King Baudouin African Development Prize, which aims to reward individuals or organisations who are making an outstanding contribution to development in Africa. The Prize also seeks to draw public attention to the many inspirational stories, including challenges and successes, emerging from the African continent.
The Prize is awarded every other year by the King Baudouin Foundation. It pays particular attention to initiatives which stand out as the best in their field significantly improve the quality of life of the populations they serve, and empower local communities to take development into their own hands.
Beyond its monetary value of 200.000 euros, it offers its winners unique opportunities to increase their visibility and promote their cause to international audiences,
At the end of two selection phases, three to four finalists will be retained. These finalists will receive the visit of a delegation of the Selection Committee.
The Prize will be awarded to Africans or organisations which are founded and led by Africans.
- The candidate must be either an individual or an organisation.
- Several individuals or organisations that are not structurally linked cannot be presented as one single candidacy.
- A former Prize winner may not be submitted a second time as a candidate. If a candidate was not withheld, it may however be submitted again for a next Prize.
Candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Have concrete realizations under his belt
- Be innovative and exemplary
- Be capable of being duplicated elsewhere on the continent
- Have a long-term vision
- Have a financial management that is both healthy and transparent
- Have initiatives that are embedded at local level
- Take into account the gender perspective
- Have initiatives that are directed at all actors of society (inclusiveness)
The submission of a candidate’s file may only be undertaken by a nominator. The selection committee will not consider applications by individuals who are applying for the Prize themselves or for an organization within which they are active.
For general information:
+32-2-500 4 555
For specific details:
02-549 61 92
For more information, visit King Baudouin African Development Prize.