Call for Entries: UNESCO Andrei Stenin International Photo Contest 2018
Deadline: February 28, 2018
Do you want the world to see your photograph? Under 34 years? Take your chance by submitting your entries for the 2018 UNESCO Andrei Stenin International Photo Contest.
The Andrei Stenin International Photo Contest is an annual contest for young photojournalists aged between 18 and 33 years old. It is Russia’s only platform for discovering new photojournalists and for allowing them to make a name for themselves on the world photojournalism stage. The contest is aimed at supporting young photojournalists and helping them make a breakthrough in their careers.
The annual submission period starts on December, 22. The date marks the birthday of Rossiya Segodnya photojournalist Andrei Stenin, who died while on assignment and in whose honour the contest is named.
The 2018 contest will showcase four categories for which young photographers can vie for awards. Photographers can submit up to three entries in each category, giving them a greater opportunity to demonstrate their professional skills:
- Top News. Important events in the life of individuals and nations as a whole are the main subject of entries in the category: major political and social events; reports from war zones and places struck by natural disasters; decisive moments in people’s lives.
- Sports. This category involves entries, which captured moments in sport: victories of athletes and dramatic losses; daily sports training; the beauty of sports competitions.
- My Planet. This category involves entries reflecting the entire multicolored palette of topics and images from all over the world. The author’s task is to show an everyday life kaleidoscope in its timeless beauty and harmony, uniting scenes from everyday life; the life of big cities and small towns; nature pictures; ethnographic and religious holidays.
- Portrait. A Hero of Our Time. This category involves entries such as individual or group portraits of people. Photos can be documentary and posed. The determining factor in this category is the author’s ability to reveal the inner world of his characters, express their mental qualities and character through the uniqueness of their appearance and looks as a whole.
The 2018 prize money is almost double that of the previous year; first, second and third place winners will be awarded 100,000 rubles, 75,000 rubles and 50,000 rubles, respectively. The Grand Prix winner will receive 700,000 rubles.
The opportunity for young photojournalists to showcase their work at Russian and international exhibition venues during the winners’ international tour, now an integral part of the contest, is no less important to participants than the monetary award.
- The Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest is open to participants aged 18 to 33. It aims to promote young photographers and support them in their strive for professional perfection.
- Entries can contain a single photograph or series of no more than 12 photographs.
- Minor cropping, or balance (white balance) or density (brightness, contrast) correction is acceptable.
- Framed images, collages, photos that have been significantly photoshopped, with parts of the image edited, deleted or replaced with a different image, will not be accepted.
- Photos will be uploaded in the JPG format. The acceptable compression will not exceed 10. The image is to be no less than 2,200 pixels and no more than 5,700 pixels by its longer side.
- The file name must contain the serial number of the photograph, name and last name of the author, title and year it was shot, separated by underscores, for example: 01_Smith_James_The_Spring_2011. The name of the file must be given in Latin script.
- The file size must not exceed 20 Mb. The file must also contain all the EXIF data.
- Entries are uploaded and stored by the participant on his or her personal page at STENINCONTEST.COM.
- Photos can be added or replaced until the participant submits the entry.
- After the entry is submitted, photos can no longer be added or replaced.
- Photographs must have been taken after January 1, 2017. In exceptional cases, series of photographs started in previous years are accepted. In such case, the last photograph of the series must have been taken in 2017 or 2018.
A complete list of requirements can be found in the Contest Rules.
Entries are uploaded and stored by the participant on his or her personal page at STENINCONTEST.COM. Photos can be added or replaced until the participant submits the entry. After the entry is submitted, photos can no longer be added or replaced.
Contact [email protected] with any questions you may have.
For more information, visit Andrei Stenin International Photo Contest.