Deadline: May 1, 2018
Entries are now open for the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize to all writers worldwide, UK and non-UK based. The Bristol Short Story Prize is an annual international writing competition that aims to publish great short stories and promote the stories and writers as much as possible. Discovering previously unpublished writers is central to their aims and they are absolutely committed to celebrating the short story genre and making it accessible.
The Bristol Short Story Prize was founded by the editors of the quarterly cultural magazine Bristol Review of Books in 2007. They publish an annual anthology of the winning stories as well as presenting cash prizes.
- To publish a brilliant short story anthology every year full of fresh and original stories, and to get it stocked in as many bookshops as possible. This includes high street chains, independent shops and online booksellers.
- To inspire and encourage writers.
- To discover and promote previously unpublished writers.
- To provide an opportunity for writers to get published.
- To share our enthusiasm for short stories in as many ways and with as many people as possible.
- To establish Bristol as a short story centre.
- To raise the profile, support and raise funds for Bristol Review of Books magazine. (BROB magazine is not being published at the moment but we hope to be part of its return to publication at some stage in the future.)
- Each of the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize shortlisted authors will receive 2 free copies of the paperback version of Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Volume 11 and will be able to purchase further copies at a discount of 50%. All 2018 Bristol Short Story prize shortlisted writers will be able to purchase any number of copies of any volume of Bristol Short Story Prize Anthologies at a discount of 50%.
- Prizes for 2018 are: 1st prize-£1000, 2nd prize -£700, 3rd prize -£400. Each of the 17 remaining shortlisted writers will receive £100.
Prizes will be awarded at the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize Awards Ceremony on October 13th 2018 and will be sent to any of the 20 shortlisted writers who are unable to attend the awards ceremony on October 13th 2018.
- Open to all published and unpublished, UK and non-UK based writers. There is no geographical restriction on entry- the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize is open to everyone
- Entrants must be over 16 years old on the closing date, May 1st 2018.
- The maximum length of submissions is 4,000 words (does not include title), there is no minimum length. Stories can be on any theme or subject and are welcome in any style including graphic, verse or genre-based (Crime, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Children’s etc..) .
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been previously published, in print or online (including self-published, ebook, magazines, journals, websites, blogs, social network sites), or broadcast or won a prize in another writing competition on or before October 13, 2018.
Read the rules.
For more information, visit Bristol Short Story Prize.