Deadline: Not specified (Apply ASAP)
CIVICUS is looking for Innovation for Change (I4C) Hub Afrique Coordinator. Based in Nairobi, the Africa Hub is a new physical and online space for CSOs and activists to generate and test new ideas to combat the restrictions they face.
The contract will be for a initial period of 3 months, renewable up to one year upon satisfactory performance, and work is expected to take place from 1 February 2018 to 30 April 2018. A one month probation period applies.
Innovation for Change (I4C) is a global network of people and organisations who want to connect, partner and learn together to defend and strengthen civic space and overcome restrictions to our basic freedoms of assembly, association and speech. They are a community-led network inspired by ideas, methods, and technologies from across different sectors. They work together on advocacy, research, network building, education and training, fundraising, digital literacy and technology development.
Launched in 2017 and based in Nairobi, the Africa Hub is a vital new physical and online space for regional ideas and social innovations, powered by its dynamic, growing community of civic space advocates from Civil Society Organisations, technologists and cross-sectoral partners. The Hub is working to strengthen the capacity of civil society and through home-grown African solutions as well as being part of a global network that offers network members access to the latest thinking, resources and collaborations.
- Competitive remuneration will be offered taking into account the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
- Travel expenses (flight ticket, accommodation, per diem) will be covered by CIVICUS for any necessary travel.
- Strategy and governance
- Work with the Board to deliver the 2018 programme and contribute to the refinement and reformulation of planned outputs and activities, where necessary
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the activities and expenditures of the Hub and its requirements
- Work with the I4C Helper Hub team including Programme Officer, Technology, Communications and
- Advocacy experts who will provide support to the Africa Hub and network
- Africa network growth
- Recruitment and co-ordination of five regional connectors
- Identify and manage partnerships with like-minded organizations for cooperation and support to the Hub.
- Manage Communications Officer in developing and deliver a Communications and outreach Strategy that grows online and offline membership
- Ensure the implementation of the Hub’s mandate, with responsibility for the overall design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting of all programs undertaken by the Hub
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the Hub
- Supervise the financial management of the Hub, including financial planning, budget monitoring, procurement and financial and grant reporting
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the Hub, including human resources, including recruitment, inductions, staff performance, salary planning, staff benefits, staff development and training
- Overseeing the setup and upkeep of the Hub database, and producing monthly reports from the database.
- At least 4-6 years of progressive experience in running and implementing projects
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline (e.g Social Science, Law, Politics, Economics and Human Rights).
- Knowledge of the socio-economic and political dynamics as well as human rights mechanisms in the African region
- Proven track record in African network development in sectors including civil society, human rights advocacy and technology
- Knowledge of human resources management, financial management, and project management
- Knowledge of communications strategy and proficient in use of social media and various web platforms.
- Fluency in English and French
- Problem solver with a positive attitude
- Highly organised with attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience in working on use of new technologies to advance human rights work, civil society space and innovative approaches
- Proven track record in workshop facilitation, team and partnership building with stakeholders.
- A Post-Graduate degree in related fields.
- A third language commonly spoken across the region
To apply, submit a CV, a one-page motivation letter and contact details of three current references to [email protected] and please make your subject line “ Africa Hub Coordinator Application”. The consultant procurement process is open until filled.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.
For more information, visit Innovation for Change (I4C) Africa Hub