Deadline: January 28, 2018
Applications are now open for cohort 13 & 14 of the Young African Leaders’ Initiative (YALI) Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa. The RLC SA will develop the young African leaders in Business and Entrepreneurship Development; Civic Leadership; and Public Management and Governance through a hybrid of innovative and complimentary approaches that include contact sessions; mentoring; self-paced tuition; industry placements and experiential learning.
YALI was launched by President of the United States Barack Obama as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The RLC SA will, in collaboration with its partners, develop the 21st century skills that are the indispensable currency for participation, achievement and competitiveness in the global economy.
In pursuit of these ideals, the RLC SA aims to:
- Create critical thinkers
- Solve complex and multidisciplinary problems
- Foster entrepreneurial thinking
- Innovative use of information, knowledge and opportunities
- Encourage communication and multicultural collaboration
- Create awareness of contemporary African issues
A graduate of the RLC SA is expected to be well rounded because they will be exposed to a multi-disciplinary approach to training. They will be exposed to high level theory, application and practice from experienced professors. At the same time, they will be offered an opportunity for industry placement and experiential learning in different RLC partner organisations.
The program offers quality leadership training across the public, private and civil sectors. In line with program requirements, participants will be required to select a foundational elective based on areas of practice and interest.
- Public Management and Governance
- Business and Entrepreneurship Development
- Civic Leadership
The program is open to young African leaders aged 18 – 35 years old depending on their level of experience and track record in their chosen sector.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Age (18-35)
- English language proficiency
- Portuguese speaking participants will be accommodated in the Mozambique Hub at UEM
- A commitment to positively impact Africa, their own countries as well as communities
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and interest in Public Management, Entrepreneurship Development and Civic Leadership
- Commitment to serve the development agenda of the African continent
Young leaders from the following countries are eligible to participate in the programme: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Please note that participants from Tanzania and the DRC should apply for Yali RLC East Africa.
- A proven record of leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement. They can be new entrants in public and private service institutions looking to develop their leadership abilities.
- Proven record of knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected.
- Proven record of active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- Selected participants applying for the contact session must be willing to travel to the RLC SA in Midrand, Johannesburg or Maputo for the duration of the program.
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledge of youth leadership and development issues
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a small or large team setting
- Proven computer skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Positive attitude
- Dedication, responsibility and reliability
Complete the online application.
For more information, visit YALI RLC Southern Africa.