Deadline: January 30, 2018
The Digital Grassroots is looking for young people interested in using the internet as a tool for social good and development. Apply now to become a Digital Grassroots Ambassador in your community. Digital Grassroots is a youth initiative created to increase citizenship by Internet Society youth fellows at the Internet Governance Forum 2017. It was developed to proactively engage youth in addressing internet problems at a grassroots level.
The Internet Governance Forum that took place at the United Nations in Geneva from the 18th to the 21st of December 2017 had the theme: ‘Shape Your Digital Future.’ Internet Society Youth Fellows saw the need to increase youth participation in Internet Governance Issues. Even though we are digital natives, young people are secluded from the decision making table on policies and issues affecting the internet that has shaped and continue to shape our daily lives.
The Digital Grassroots Ambassador program is an initiative to accomplish the following goals:
- Build a positive narrative on youth participation in Internet Governance
- Engage youth in resolving internet relation problems at community level
- Introduce youth to participation in Internet Governance through mentorship
- Use Internet Literacy as a tool to accomplish Sustainable Developmental Goals
The Digital Grassroots Ambassador program will include:
- An Internet Literacy Coursework tailored to accomplish the SDGs
- A community engagement activity that will be done by selected Ambassadors
- A 4 week mentorship program with a mentor to induct Ambassadors to Youth Participation in Internet Governance
Successful Ambassadors will receive:
- a certificate at the end of the program
- an opportunity to share success stories and write articles related to internet on their website, forum and social platforms
- an exclusive mentorship program on how to engage as a youth in Internet Governance,
- an opportunity to join the core team in a given capacity.
- Between 14 and 29 years old in 2018
- Interested in using the internet as a tool for social good and development
- Community Centred individual passionate about sharing information
- Applications encouraged from persons from regions facing internet related challenges including access problems.
- You do not need prior experience in Internet Governance to participate
- Applicants are encouraged to join the Digital Grassroots forum for news updates (Optional).
Applicants are encouraged to join the Digital Grassroots forum for news updates. Successful Applicants Notified: 15 February 2018.
Complete the online application.
For more information, visit Digital Grassroots.