Deadline: March 7, 2018
The AnitaB.org Grace Hopper Celebration (GHC) 18 Scholarship applications are open. GHC scholarships provide funds for undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty to attend the three-day celebration. This once in a lifetime chance, allows academics to connect with other women in computing, hear stories from peers and experts in computing, and get quality career advice specific to their needs needs. GHC 18 will be Sep. 26–28 in Houston, TX.
The Grace Hopper Celebration is the world’s largest gathering of women technologists. It is produced by AnitaB.org and presented in partnership with ACM. In 2017, over 650 Scholars attended GHC where they gained access to career and academic workshops, networking opportunities, and memories that will last a lifetime.
They offer two types of scholarships – Students and Faculty. Scholarships cover registration, flights, hotel accommodations, and you will also receive a stipend that, when used wisely, covers meals, transportation to/from the airport, and other travel incidentals.
Student and Faculty Scholarships include:
- Individual Registration for the three day celebration
- Hotel accommodations (arranged by AnitaB.org). Student Scholars will be assigned a roommate. Faculty Scholars will be assigned their own room
- Airfare booked and paid for by AnitaB.org Travel Consultant
- Travel stipend (if used wisely, stipend will cover transportation costs to and from the airport, baggage fees, meals, and other travel incidentals)
- They will provide the stipend when you pick up your badge at GHC. Scholars pay upfront for travel day meals and taxis/shuttles to the GHC venue.
- You must be a full-time student enrolled in an accredited degree program at a college or university at the time of the celebration (September 2018). Those graduating prior to the celebration are not eligible unless accepted to another related degree program (such as a M.S. or Ph.D. program).
- Show satisfactory progress toward a degree such as, but not limited to, computer science, computer engineering, or a related technical discipline such as electrical engineering, human-computer interaction, math, physics, or management information systems.
- Be able to demonstrate an interest in computing.
- You cannot have been an AnitaB.org-GHC Scholarship recipient in 2017.
- You must be at least 18 years of age by September 24, 2018.
- You cannot accept more than one scholarship to attend GHC.
- If you receive a scholarship and do not notify AnitaB.org that you cannot attend prior to the celebration, you will not be eligible in future years as this takes a scholarship away from another student that could have attended.
What are we looking for in a student scholar?
- Student scholars are active in their community, including being involved with campus computing/STEM clubs and working towards the advancement of women in computing.
- Student scholars have an understanding of how attending GHC will have an impact on them and any messages or key learnings they take back to share at their schools.
- You must be teaching at an accredited college or university at the time of the conference. We do not award scholarships to High School teachers, as the conference does not provide programming for K-12.
- You must teach in a degree program such as, but not limited to, computer science, computer engineering, or a related technical discipline such as electrical engineering, human-computer interaction, math, physics, or management information systems.
- If you receive a scholarship and do not notify AnitaB.org that you cannot attend prior to the celebration, you will not be eligible in future years as this takes a scholarship away from another faculty that could have attended.
What are we looking for in a faculty scholar?
- Faculty scholars mentor female students.
- Scholars are active in computing community, providing support to computing clubs and/or organizations.
- GHC will have an impact on the scholar and the message the scholar takes back to her or his school and community.
All materials, to include a recommendation for student applicants, must be submitted by the stated deadline.
For more information, visit AnitaB.org-GHC Scholarships.