Deadline: February 28, 2018
The African Water Association (AfWA) is awarding research scholarships to African Young Water and Sanitation Professionals, as part of its Capacity-Building Program for African stakeholders in the water, sanitation and hygiene sector (AfriCap) funded by USAID West Africa. AfWA supports African cities in the development of their strategic urban sanitation plans.
For the 2017-2018 academic year, twenty-two (22) scholarships shall be awarded. Each scholarship, with a maximum value of USD1,000 (one thousand), will make it possible to carry out a research work sanctioned by a scientific report on a theme related to the WASH sector.
List of research topics
The following themes were selected for this scholarship program for the 2017-2018 academic year:
- Approaches to reducing Non-Revenue Water in water utilities
- Improved Water Quality Control
- Water services in low-income urban areas
- Fecal sludge Management
- Improvement of urban and peri-urban sanitation
- ICT use in water and sanitation services
As part of this scholarship, the maximum amount allocated per recipient is US $ 1,000. Sixty percent (60%) of this amount will be paid to the recipient once the detailed plan of the research project is finalized, approved by the research supervisor and received by AfWA. Research and Capacity Building Program Coordinator. The remaining forty percent (40%) shall be paid once the recipient submits the electronic version of their final research report.
- Open to master students and engineers at the end of their training and PhD studies.
- Candidates should come from one of the countries in West Africa
Candidates for the scholarship program will formulate their research topics in relation to one of the themes proposed in this call for applications. They will also be able to apply to one of the research topics proposed by one of the members of AfWA.
To apply, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a citizen of a country in the USAID West Africa desk coverage area and identified on the map of Fig 1 below;
- be in good standing academically with respect to their institution;
- Submit a nomination file including :
- Student card or registration receipt for the current year
- Last completed degree
- Curriculum vitae,
- Three recommendation letters (one should be from the academic supervisor),
- Research proposal form to be downloaded from here.
For more information, visit AfWA Research Scholarships.