Call for Nominations: Africa Food Prize 2018 (US $100,000 prize)
Deadline: May 15, 2018
Nominations for the Africa Food Prize 2018 are now open. The Africa Food Prize is the preeminent award for recognizing the extraordinary individual or institution whose contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity for all Africans. This is a distinguished award that recognizes individuals or institutions that are leading the effort to change the reality of farming in Africa.
The US $100,000 prize celebrates Africans who are taking control of Africa’s agriculture agenda. It puts a spotlight on bold initiatives and technical innovations that can be replicated across the continent to create a new era of food security and economic opportunity for all Africans.
The Africa Food Prize—funded by AGRA, the EcoNet Foundation, and Yara International ASA (Yara)— began as the Yara Prize, and was established in 2005 by Yara International ASA in Norway to honor achievements in African agriculture. Moving the Yara Prize to Africa in 2016 and rechristening it the Africa Food Prize gave the award a distinctive African home, African identity and African ownership.
The Africa Food Prize recognizes extraordinary women, men, and institutions whose outstanding contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity that elevates all Africans. The winners are selected by an independent panel of distinguished experts in African agriculture, chaired by former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo. The Africa Food Prize began as the Yara Prize, established by Yara in 2005. It was moved to Africa and rechristened the Africa Food Prize in 2016.
Seize this opportunity to recognize and celebrate an outstanding individual or institution that is leading the effort to change the reality of farming in Africa from a struggle to survive to a business that thrives and deserves this preeminent award.
The Africa Food Prize is made up of:
- A financial grant of US$ 100,000
- A diploma and
- A trophy.
The Prize winner(s) is free to decide how to utilize the Prize in order to further the sustainable development of Africa. The Prize is awarded at a special ceremony attended by the Prize winner(s), the Africa Food Prize Committee and invited guests. The winner will be unveiled at a high-profile gala dinner at the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) 2018 this September in Kigali, Rwanda.
- The Africa Food Prize can be awarded to any individual or identifiable group of individuals, as well as to established institutions, associations, organizations or government bodies with a formal and recognized judicial and organizational structure contributing to the overall objectives of the Prize.
- The Prize can be awarded to any qualified candidate, irrespective of nationality, profession or location, whose work, and contributions deriving from the work, has had a clear impact on the African situation, nationally, regionally or for the continent.
- The Prize can be awarded with reference to a specific contribution or achievement, or a series of efforts and results in the recent past, preferably within the last few years. Current or recent members of the Africa Food Prize Committee, or an institution/ organization headed by such a member, are ineligible for the Prize.
- The Prize cannot be awarded to a person already deceased, but will be presented in the event a Prize winner dies before receiving the Prize.
- The Prize can be awarded to more than one winner, but not more than two. If shared, each winner will receive equal prize money (USD 100 000 divided in two), a diploma and a trophy.
The Africa Food Prize will honor outstanding contributions within every aspect of agriculture and food production that is clearly related to combating hunger and reducing poverty in Africa. Decisions will be based on the Prize Committee’s research into and deliberations of the nominees´ work and an evaluation of their achievements.
The Prize Committee considers the following criteria for the Prize:
- Contribution to reducing poverty and hunger and/or improving food and nutrition security in measurable terms
- Contribution to providing a vital source of income and/or employment in measurable terms
- Potential for transformative change through scalability, replication, and sustainability
- Increased awareness and cooperation among African audiences and organizations
- Proven leadership potential of the individual or organization, specifically the ability of the to persevere despite significant challenges or risks
Please fill the nomination form and submit it to us through any of the following three methods:
- Complete the form, attach the supporting documents and submit it online
- Complete the form, save and send it to [email protected] attaching the supporting documents
- Complete the form, print it together with the supporting documents and deliver it either physically or by post to:
The Africa Food Prize Secretariat
West End Towers, Floor 4,
Kanjata Road, Off Waiyaki Way,
OR mail it to:
The Africa Food Prize Secretariat
P O Box 66773-00800 Westlands,
Fill the nomination form.
For more information, visit Africa Food Prize.