ELBE Postdoctoral Fellows Program 2018 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: March 4, 2018
Applications are open for fully funded fellowships for distinguished independent postdoctoral researchers to join the Center for Systems Biology Dresden (CSBD) for a duration of 1 to 3 years. The ELBE Postdoctoral Fellows Program provides an ideal springboard to an independent research career in systems biology, biophysics, computational biology, and related areas.
ELBE Postdoctoral Fellows conduct curiosity-driven research at the Center and are provided with competitive personal financial support, access to research infrastructure, and support for research expenditure and travel. The Postdoctoral Fellows are independent and are expected to collaborate with more than one research group to bridge between disciplines. The appointment is typically for two years with the possibility of a one-year extension to three years in total. Extensions beyond three years are not possible.
- The CSBD provides an international research environment with a strong commitment to multi-disciplinary work and career development.
- ELBE Postdoctoral Fellows benefit from close collaborations with scientists at the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (MPI-CBG), the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems (MPI-PKS), and the Technische Universität Dresden (TU Dresden)
- Fellows benefit from full access to state-of-the-art research facilities and infrastructure on the campus. These are in particular the service and facilities of the MPI-CBG, which are located next door to the CSBD.
- They are given freedom, mentoring, and support to develop their own research questions.
- ELBE Postdoctoral Fellowship seeks outstanding external candidates that bring new ideas, concepts, or systems to the Center.
- They focus on candidates with backgrounds in Cell or Developmental Biology, Computational Biology or Bioinformatics, Theoretical Physics, Biophysics, Bioimage Informatics, Computational Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or Computer Science with a strong interest in working in a cross-disciplinary life-science environment.
Selection of ELBE Postdoctoral Fellows is highly competitive and follows a two-stage procedure with two cycles a year. Applications are exclusively accepted through the online web-based application system. They do not accept applications by e-mail or direct contact of a group leader.
In the first selection stage, candidates are judged on their track record and a research proposal describing the work they intend to do while at the CSBD. Short-listed candidates are invited to on-site interviews with travel costs covered by the CSBD. The on-site interview consists of a public scientific talk and a confidential meeting with the selection committee.
To apply, please fill the online application form and upload a single pdf file containing
- a cover letter,
- publication list,
- a summary of previous research (max. 1 page) and
- a concisely worded research statement of the proposed work during your stay at CSBD (1-2 pages), preferably oriented towards the mission and interests of the Center.
- two confidential letters of recommendation to be submitted online.
Fill the online application form.
For more information, visit ELBE Postdoctoral Fellows Program.