DW Akademie Scholarships for Master’s Program in International Media Studies 2018
Deadline: March 31, 2018
DW Akademie currently is offering scholarships for the Master’s program “International Media Studies” in cooperation with the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences and Bonn University. The Master’s program is unique in Germany and attracts students from all over the world. Students are trained to become professional media specialists who can meet career demands with the required skills and confidence. The program combines research, lectures and hands-on media skills and prepares students for management positions within an international environment.
The four-semester Master’s program is a full-time, bilingual program (conducted in German and English). The curriculum covers a number of areas including journalism and communication sciences, media development and media management. The Master’s program gets underway every fall in September and corresponds with the semester schedule of the Rhein-Bonn-Sieg University of Applied Sciences. The program lasts four semesters. Students write their Master’s thesis in the fourth and final semester.
The tuition fees for the postgraduate, four-semester Master’s Program will cost 6,000 EUR. Students can either pay the total sum before admission or pay a monthly rate of 250 EUR. Additionally, students have to pay a semester fee (currently of 283.40 EUR) to the University of Applied Sciences Bonn-Rhein-Sieg. This fee includes administrative costs, studentship fee as well as a ticket for use of public transport in the area’s traffic network. The fee is subject to change.
There are different ways of financing your studies:
- Full Scholarship: Theye are granting full scholarship to up to 10 applicants each year. Prospective students from developing countries can apply for the full scholarship. The scholarship is 750 EUR per month covering costs for living and accommodation. The tuition fee and the flight will be also reimbursed. A committee will decide which applicants are to receive a scholarship after the application deadline has expired.
- Partial Scholarship: Prospective students from developing countries and countries in transition who do not meet the requirements for the full scholarship, may apply for a partial scholarship. This will cover the costs of the tuition fees of 6,000 EUR. The expenses for travelling, accommodation and living will have to be paid by yourself.
- The program is designed primarily for young journalists, media managers and communications staff who come from developing and transition countries, and particularly from Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. However, Germans, EU citizens, Canadians, Americans and Australians can also apply.
- The program is targeted at students from around the world that want to work in a position of responsibility in journalism or the communications sector. It especially addresses journalists-in-training, media representatives from radio, TV, online and print and communication experts.
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and, after graduating, at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field.
- Those interested must have completed an academic program (bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and have acquired at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field after their first degree.
- The program is bilingual (English and German), whereby English is the prevalent course language.
- For the Master’s Program, applicants must have a bachelor’s degree, at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field and advanced skills in German and English.
Especially targeted at:
- Media representatives from radio, TV, online and print
- Journalists-in-training, especially from electronic media
- Journalists and management from community radio stations
- Communication experts
- NGO employees
- Employees from ministries
- Employees from cooperative development groups and projects
- Representatives from regional working groups and national broadcasters
- Media association representatives
The online application system is open between November and March each year to apply for the following winter semester. Please note that only online applications can be accepted.
For more information, visit DW Akademie Scholarships.