Apply: 9th EDCTP Forum Scholarships for Early Career Investigators & Scientists (Fully-funded to Portugal)
Deadline: May 4, 2018
The call for abstracts and scholarship applications are now open for the 9th EDCTP Forum in Lisbon, Portugal. The EDCTP Forum is a biennial event that provides an international platform for the presentation and discussion of frontier research to address the burden of poverty-related infectious diseases in sub-Saharan Africa, and also capacity development and networking activities to support these goals.
The EDCTP Forum attracts a diverse audience, including representatives from research institutions and universities, the larger scientific community, health care providers, governments, regional bodies, regulators, civil society and public and private research and development partners. The Ninth EDCTP Forum will be held in Lisbon, Portugal from 17-21 September 2018.
The conference will be hosted by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology and take place at the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. The multidisciplinary nature of the conference will gather more than 500 representatives from different regions and research fields, providing an excellent opportunity for networking and to highlight and promote key activities of your institution, organisation or company to a targeted audience while contributing to EDCTP’s mission and conference goals.
1. EDCTP Scholarships:
EDCTP offers a limited number of scholarships to early career investigators and scientists working in the scope of EDCTP to attend the Ninth EDCTP Forum. These scholarships aim to support the participation of those who might not otherwise be able to attend. Selected recipients will be presenting authors of oral or poster presentations.
Scholarship recipients will be notified by mid-June 2018. The scholarship will cover, as far as necessary, economy travel (airfares and transfers), visas, accommodation, insurance and the Forum registration fee.
Selection of scholarship recipients will be based on the following criteria:
- Acceptance of the submitted abstract
- Complete scholarship application with motivation letter and reference letter on the institutional letterhead
- Relevance of Forum attendance to the applicant’s career development
- Potential benefit of attendance to the applicant, his/her colleagues, institution and wider community
- Geography and gender balance, in order to maximise participation
- Priority will be given to applicants who have few alternative sources of funding, applicants who have not previously received a scholarship to attend the EDCTP Forum, as well as EDCTP grantees who have new results to present (not previously presented elsewhere).
- Applications for scholarships must be submitted in parallel with the abstract submission.
- Only scholarship applications and abstracts submitted online by the deadline of 4 May 2018 will be considered.
- Multiple applications are not permitted.
Scholarship applications must include the following information (to be uploaded as a single pdf when submitting the application online):
- An up-to-date CV which includes a concise summary of the applicant’s career to date
- A motivation letter addressing the following topics:
- Future career plans and how attendance at the Forum will assist in developing the applicant’s career;
- Benefit of attendance to the applicant’s colleagues, institution and wider community;
- In their letter, applicants must provide information on previous scholarship applications to EDCTP to attend the Forum and details of alternative sources of funding available to support the applicant’s attendance;
- A reference letter from a senior member of the applicant’s employing institution. In a one-page letter of support on the institution letterhead, the referee should outline:
- The relevance of the EDCTP Forum attendance to the applicant’s career development;
- The benefit of attendance to the applicant, his/her colleagues and institution.
- The signed, scanned reference must be submitted on the institution headed paper.
2. Scholarships from the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation
In addition to the scholarships provided by EDCTP, the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation offers up to 10 scholarships to early career investigators and scientists from Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique and São Tome e Príncipe. The award of the Calouste Gulbenkian scholarship is not dependent on the applicant being selected to present an abstract. Applicants should indicate in their cover letter that they are applying for the Calouste Gulbenkian scholarship.
Recipients of the Calouste Gulbenkian Scholarship will be notified by mid-June 2018.
The Calouste Gulbenkian scholarship consists of a lump sum (1200 Euros to scientists coming from Cape Verde and Guinea-Bissau; 1500 Euros to scientists coming from Angola, Mozambique and São Tomé e Príncipe) to cover the travel expenses, visas, accommodation; the meeting registration fees will be covered by EDCTP.
Call for Abstracts
Abstracts must be submitted in English and should not exceed 300 words. Abstracts must not have been published or submitted for presentation to any other national or international meeting.
Abstracts should follow the format:
Abstracts should be plain text and not contain tables or graphs or other images.
Submitting your abstract
- Submission of abstracts starts on 6 March 2018.
- Abstracts must be submitted via the online system by 4 May 2018. Only abstracts submitted online by the deadline will be considered.
- Detailed instructions are available in the online submission system.
- For questions regarding abstracts, please contact EDCTPForum2018@leading.pt.
For more information, visit 9th EDCTP Forum.