Deadline: April 4, 2018
Applications for the Sir Henry Dale Fellowships 2018 are open. This scheme provides support for postdoctoral researchers who aim to become independent scientists leading their own groups. The scheme is a partnership between the Royal Society and the Wellcome Trust. The funding covers salary and research expenses.
A Sir Henry Dale Fellowship is for five years. It may be held on a part-time basis and you can apply for renewal for an additional three years. The award includes:
- a basic salary (determined by your host organisation)
- a fellowship supplement of £7,500 for your personal support
- personal removal expenses
- research expenses, normally including one research post (postdoctoral, graduate RA or technician)
- a contribution towards indirect and estate costs of £11,000 a year (from the Royal Society)
- You can apply for a Sir Henry Dale Fellowship if you’re already driving your own research and you’re ready to lead an independent research programme.
- You must have a PhD and significant postdoctoral research experience.
- You should have made important contributions to your area of research, eg publications, patents, software development or an impact on policy.
- You must have sponsorship from a head of department or equivalent at an eligible host organisation in the UK. Applicants who want to be based in the Republic of Ireland should apply for a Research Career Development Fellowship instead.
- If you’re proposing to stay in your current department, you should describe in your application how this proposal will further your independent scientific career.
- If you’ve been away from research (eg for a career break, maternity leave, or long-term sick leave), we’ll allow for this when we consider your application.
You should identify an important question that’s within their scientific remit.
They will review:
- your research contributions
- the scientific merit of your proposed project
- the significance of the research
- the feasibility of your proposal
- the suitability of your sponsor and host environment for both your research and for the development of your independent career.
At the end of this fellowship, you should:
- have achieved international standing in your area of research
- be leading your own research programme
- have the skills and experience to apply for senior level fellowships or permanent positions at UK research organisations.
You must submit your application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT).
For more information, visit Sir Henry Dale Fellowships.