ILO-EJN Labour Migration Journalism Fellowship 2018
Deadline: March 23, 2018
The ILO, in partnership with the Ethical Journalism Network, opens applications for a six-month Labour Migration Journalism Fellowship Programme. This is a six-month fellowship programme for journalists and media practitioners to support quality reporting on labour migration in the Middle East. The programme is open to individuals working in Lebanon, Jordan and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) States. The fellowship, to run from April to October 2018, marks the second phase in the programme, following a successful first round which ran from September 2017 to March 2018.
Participants to the programme will take part in an expert training programme on reporting and storytelling on labour migration, be provided with editorial support from a board of mentors, and be given stipends to cover field work to produce and publish a series of in-depth stories on labour migration. Reports and multimedia will be published on the ILO and partner websites, in English and Arabic.
The ILO Regional Fair Migration Project in the Middle East (FAIRWAY) works to promote fair migration (including fair recruitment) and eliminate forced labour and trafficking for labour exploitation. To address discriminatory attitudes and actions towards migrant workers the project works to sensitize the public on the rights of migrant workers, potential issues of abuse and fair migration solutions through partnerships with the media.
- ILO training programme on reporting and storytelling on labour migration
- Access to ILO experts and partners working in the field with migrant workers
- USD 1,500 stipend to cover field work for labour migration stories, such as transport and translation
- Editorial support and mentorship to produce a series of in-depth stories on labour migration in the Middle East
- The opportunity to network and exchange ideas and experiences with a diverse peer group
- Reports and multimedia will be published on the ILO and partner websites, in English and Arabic
- Participants must be early-career journalists and media professionals working in Lebanon, Jordan and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states
- Participants are passionate about human rights, migration, and labour issues.
- Participants can be freelance or working for an existing outlet.
- The programme is open to print, TV and radio journalists, photojournalists and film-makers, multimedia journalists, citizen journalists and social media experts.
- Participants will be expected to produce a minimum of three in-depth reports/pieces about labour migration in the region throughout the programme.
- Participants will need to be available to attend an introductory workshop in Amman from 9-11 April 2018.
Applicants will be required to submit the following (in either in English or Arabic):
- A cover letter outlining: your motivation to participate in the programme and a relevant story proposal
- Two relevant samples of your work
Email the application to:
Tom Law, EJN Director of Campaigns and Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit ILO-EJN Fellowship.