Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers 2018
Deadline: May 18, 2018
The Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers (Japan Award) 2018 is now open for applications. This annual Japan Award, which began in 2007, is organized and presented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) of Japan. Its purpose is to increase motivation among young researchers contributing to research and development in agriculture, forestry, fisheries, and related industries in developing regions, which is promoted by Japan for the benefit of those countries.
Up to three young researchers will be invited to Japan to attend the commendation ceremony this November to receive their awards and cash gifts (US$5,000 will be given per awardee) personally and present their research results and achievements. The winners will be bestowed a testimonial by the Chairman of the AFFRC during the commendation ceremony and will also receive a cash prize of US$5,000 each from JIRCAS.
- Should be under the age of 40 (as of January 1, 2018)
- Should be researchers who have the nationality of developing countries and/or territories, belong to a non-Japanese research institute or a non-Japanese university
- Should be engaged in research and development in agriculture, forestry, fisheries and related industries in developing regions
- Must be able to attend the commendation ceremony and deliver a lecture on November 6, 2018.
- Those who have applied for and missed the award in previous years are eligible to re-apply.
- The winning candidates must be able to attend the commendation ceremony and deliver a lecture on November 6, 2018.
Candidates must meet the following criteria
- Those who have shown outstanding performance in research and development in agriculture, forestry, fisheries, or related industries for a developing region, and who show great promise.
- Those who have shown outstanding achievements in research and development that will lead to future technological innovation in agriculture, forestry, fisheries or related industries for a developing region, and who show great promise.
The Selection Committee will give consideration to the following perspectives in evaluating and judging the applicants’ performance and research achievements for this award:
- The research and development have shown abundant originality.
- Achievements in the research and development have been objectively evaluated, e.g., by being published in academic or technical journals.
- The research and development have provided consideration for the development of agriculture, forestry, fisheries or related industries in developing countries in terms of dissemination and commercialization.
- The research and development have shown potential for great development and for leading to future technological and methodological innovations, even when it might not be fully completed or not diffused enough at the present time.
Submit applications and inquiry by post to
Public Relations Office, Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS)
1-1, Ohwashi Tsukuba City, Ibaraki 305-8686 Japan
Download the Inquiry form.
For more information, visit Japan Award.