APPLY: 3rd African World Heritage Regional Youth Forum 2018 in Mozambique (Fully-funded)
Deadline: March 31, 2018
Applications are open for the 3rd African World Heritage Regional Youth Forum. This forum will promote increased participation of African youth and raise their sense of ownership, stewardship and accountability for World Heritage protection and promotion.
In collaboration with UNESCO and the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Mozambique, the African World Heritage Fund is organising the Third Regional Youth Forum on World Heritage in Africa. The Forum, which follows the gathering in 2016 for English-speaking countries in Robben Island (South Africa) and the Francophone one in 2017 at Loropeni Ruins (Burkina Faso), will address the African Lusophone Youth.
The four-day Forum (30 April-3 May) will consist of fieldwork on the interpretation of the Island of Mozambique World Heritage Site and will conclude with a one-day Seminar (4 May) and the official celebration of the African World Heritage Day (5 May).
The forum will seek to:
- Mobilise young people in World Heritage conservation and sustainable development efforts in the region and create a platform for harnessing the creativity of youth while providing opportunities for them to work together and to build networks;
- Raise youth awareness and appreciation of issues and threats facing current conservation efforts through a better understanding of the World Heritage Convention and the strategic guidelines for its implementation;
- Improve the legibility of the Island of Mozambique by reflecting on possible visit itineraries involving interactions with groups and individuals of the local communities;
- Raise the youth’s capacity to develop site conservation and promotion in their own countries, taking into account present day environmental issues and the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals;
- Promote inter-generational and multidisciplinary dialogue and sharing of knowledge amongst youth, experts and specialists as regards the preservation and promotion of cultural and natural heritage.
The Youth Forum will provide a platform to formulate a Declaration on the Promotion of World Heritage in Africa.
The costs for the forum (return airfare, accommodation, meals, local transportation at the host country) will be covered by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Mozambique, the African World Heritage Fund, the Government of the Portuguese Republic (Portuguese Cooperation, Camões Institute for Cooperation and Language) and UNESCO.
Eighteen (18) African participants will be selected for the forum matching the following profile:
- Aged from 18 – 28 years old;
- Acquired minimum a post-secondary certified training and qualifications (Bachelor equivalent) with above average performance;
- Fluent in Portuguese. Ability to communicate in one of the other official African Union languages (Swahili, Arabic, English or French) would be an advantage;
- Motivated, active and driven individuals interested in engaging in a World Heritage network of African youth, and eager to implement the outcomes of the forum in their home countries;
The project is open to participants from all African countries.
The participants commit to attend the full length of the forum. They should be committed to invest time to prepare and follow up on the recommendations of the Youth Forum.
The working language is Portuguese. However, this Forum will also promote the idea of a greater regional integration by advocating the principle that participants should be able to overcome language barriers and interact with facilitators and amongst themselves in other official languages of the African Union.
The following items will be strongly considered during selection:
- Applicant profile answers to selection criteria;
- Completed application package (application form, CV, motivation letter, and recommendation letter);
- Diversity, gender and geographic balance;
- Complementary experience amongst the group of participants as a whole;
Each applicant should submit the following application package:
- The completed application form;
- A motivation letter (maximum 1 page) detailing your reasons for applying and experiences related to World Heritage;
- An up to date and chronologically complete Curriculum Vitae (2 pages maximum);
- A signed letter of recommendation from a university, organization or administrative authority/supervisor.
The complete application package should be submitted at the latest on the 31st March 2018 (midnight GMT) via the following email address: [email protected].
For any queries or problems during application process, please contact AWHF: Albino Jopela ([email protected]) with copy to Nony Tiana Andriamirado ([email protected]). Please note that applications sent to these emails will not be accepted, please send the application pack only to the stipulated email address: [email protected].
Successful applicants will be informed by 10th April 2018 at the latest.
Click here to download the application form.
For more information, visit AWF Regional Youth Forum.