Climate Tracker Writing Competition 2018 for Eastern Europe (Fully-funded to UNFCCC Negotiations in Germany)
Deadline: April 13, 2018
Join Climate Tracker’s “Stay below 1.5!” writing competition (just for Eastern European Journalists) and win a fully funded spot to the May UNFCCC negotiations in Bonn, Germany! Do you love writing and communicating about climate change issues? Have you always wanted to attend a United Nations conference to see with your own eyes where it all happens? Are you from Eastern Europe? Than this is your chance!
Climate Tracker is looking for writers from Eastern Europe to join this competition by writing about the necessity to stay below 1.5 degrees of warming and the ways in which we can reach that target: 100% renewable energy, natural climate solutions and zero fossil fuels and their vested influence.
In 2018, the most prominent scientific body on climate change issues, the IPCC, will release the Special Report on 1.5° (SR1.5). It is also the year of the Talanoa Dialogue, during which countries have to increase their ambition on fighting climate change.
We need to remind the governments and decision makers that we can and must stay below 1.5 degrees of warming. We need a transition to 100% renewable energy and foster natural climate solutions, like reforestation and forest protection. The interests of the fossil fuel and biofuels industries are trying to delay action, but we must act now!
The best submission can win you an invitation to the UN climate negotiations in May 2018, which will be held in Bonn, Germany. There you will receive training on climate and journalism by Climate Tracker, get to attend the international climate negotiations and meet amazing people from everywhere in the world! You cannot miss this chance!
- Open to writers from Eastern Europe: You can apply if you are from: Poland, Tscjechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova, Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus.
- Applicants should be between 18 and 30 years.
- You don’t have to be an expert in the topic to join
- The best writer will be selected based on outreach and writing skills
- Write an article about why we must stay below 1.5 degrees of warming and how we can achieve that.
- By that time, you have to publish an article in media in your country or region. It can be a newspaper, a magazine, an online news site, etc. Once your article is published, make sure to submit the link to them through their app before the 13th April.
- Climate Tracker will revise the articles submitted through the app, give you feedback and tips, and select the best writers. The 2 best writers will get a fully funded fellowship to Bonn, Germany for the UNFCCC meeting.
For more information, visit Climate Tracker Competition.