Deadline: August 1, 2018
Applications are invited for the AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Awards 2018. The Awards are aimed at recognizing excellence in science journalism. The American Association for the Advancement of Science has been recognizing excellence in science journalism since 1945 and now due to a doubling of their endowment by The Kavli Foundation in 2015, they now accept entries from journalists worldwide in all categories. Nearly 40 percent of the winners of the award since 2015 have been international entrants.
The awards are presented to reporters in the following categories:
- Large newspaper: Daily or weekly newspapers with circulation of 150,000 or more
- Small newspaper: Daily or weekly newspapers with circulation less than 150,000
- Magazine: Including Sunday magazine sections of newspapers
- Video In-Depth Reporting: Segments or programs longer than 20 minutes
- Video Spot News/Feature Reporting: Segments or programs 20 minutes or less
- Audio: Radio or Podcast
- Children’s Science News: Open to journalists working in any medium – print, broadcast or online – for excellence in reporting science news for children, including young teens up to age 14
- There will be two awards for each category, a Gold award worth $5,000 and a Silver award worth $3,500.
- One winner for each award in each category will also receive reasonable travel expenses to attend an awards ceremony in February 2019 at the AAAS Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.
- Open to reporters doing work for independent news organizations around the world;
- Print articles must be readily accessible to the public by subscription or newsstand sales;
- If the submitted work was published or broadcast in a language other than English, you must provide an English translation;
- You cannot enter the same story or stories in two different categories, nor may you enter a story both as an individual entry and as part of a group of stories;
- Entries must have been originally published, broadcast or posted online during the contest year, that is July 16, 2017 through July 15, 2018.
Before submitting entry for the award, applicants should see the submission procedures for each category here. All entries must be submitted online on or before midnight of August 1, 2018.
For more information, visit AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Awards.