Deadline: July 11, 2018
The European Journalism Centre (EJC) is pleased to announce the launch of its new Global Health Journalism Grants Programme for Germany. The grant programme aims to advance innovative reporting on global health topics in developing countries in German media.
The goal of the grant, supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, is to raise awareness about global health issues among the general public and to inform influencers and decision makers in government, civil society, industry, and science as well as development communities.
- The grants are worth between €5,000 and €20,000 each – including potential travel and technical expenses according to the scope of project.
- Freelance or permanently employed individual journalists, or small teams of journalists (including support staff as appropriate, e.g., graphic designers, software programmers, or data experts), may apply for funding for a story in whichever format they deem best suited to their topic and audience (text, video, audio, or multimedia);
- The applicants should be experienced in reporting on the topics of health, science, business or development and need to publish in relevant media from Germany;
- Journalists are strongly encouraged to publish in multiple outlets.
The jury will judge applications based on the following criteria:
- Editorial focus and quality: Is the topic original, balanced and focused? Does it cover an under-reported story, or a new angle? Will it be a strong piece of journalism that gets attention?
- Reach and impact: Will the story (and the media outlets that will publish it) reach a large number of people in at least one of the audience target groups? Does it have the potential to raise people’s awareness? Will it cause engagement or change of thinking and even acting?
Applicants are welcome to submit an online application by providing:
- A story pitch
- A list of the existing contacts to relevant media outlets
- Letter(s) of intent (if possible) by German media organisations
- A clear strategy for publication, delivery and dissemination
- An itemised budget
- The timeline in which the project will be carried out
- A CV
For more information, visit EJC Global Health Reporting Grants.