IVHQ Medical Volunteer Abroad Scholarship 2018
Deadline: May 23, 2018
Applications are now open for IVHQ’s Medical Volunteer Abroad Scholarship. The International Volunteer HQ supports medical students and professionals to broaden and enhance their perspectives of global health, while providing vital support to underserved communities around the world. If you are the scholarship winner, you can travel to the destination of choice on any date between June 2018 and May 2019.
Medical volunteer abroad placements are available with IVHQ in various healthcare fields, including general medicine, nursing, dentistry, physical therapy, pharmacy, speech therapy, psychiatry, lab technology, midwifery, paramedics, radiology, and more. The scope of volunteer work depends on your specific experience and qualification levels, and you will have the opportunity to exchange knowledge and cross-cultural learnings with local healthcare professionals, as well as other international volunteers.
The all-inclusive medical volunteer placements provide students and professionals with comprehensive pre-departure support services and training, as well as in-country program orientations, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
The scholarship includes:
- 2-week medical volunteer abroad project with IVHQ in the destination of your choice
- Flight voucher (to the value of US$1000) from STA Travel
- 2-week travel insurance policy from World Nomads
- The ‘Certificate in International Volunteering’ online course from Global Travel Academy
- The scholarship is open to anyone of any nationality pursuing a career in healthcare, medicine or nursing. This includes pre-med and pre-nursing students, those studying in a healthcare-related field or qualified professionals.
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older at the closure of nominations and hold a valid passport with at least 6 months validity.
- If you know you want to become a volunteer abroad but aren’t sure where you’d like to volunteer yet, you can certainly still apply for the scholarship. If you are selected as a finalist, the IVHQ team will be happy to assist you in selecting a medical volunteer destination that’s the best fit for you.
In selecting the scholarship recipient, the judges will be considering the following areas, based on the responses you provide in the application form:
- Your existing experience and personal attributes and how these would translate to a medical placement abroad
- Your motivations for pursuing a career in medicine and as a medical volunteer abroad
- Your interpretation of how a medical placement abroad will impact your immediate or long-term goals within your chosen field
For more information, visit IVHQ Scholarship.