Deadline: September 1, 2018
Apply for the Joke Waller-Hunter Initiative Grants 2018 for Young Environmental Leaders. The Joke Waller-Hunter (JWH) Initiative creates opportunities for young people in the environmental sector in developing countries to unfold their full potential. By giving small grants to individuals to expand their knowledge, experience and training, the Initiative aims to strengthen environmental Civil Society Organisations capacity and efficiency.
In order to promote lasting change towards a more sustainable world the environmental movement is in constant need of inspirational and skilful leadership. Young people working for environmental CSOs, especially in developing countries, often have few opportunities to develop leadership skills due to a lack of resources for schooling, training or practical learning. The mission of the JWH Initiative is thus to provide an accessible and tailored small grant for education and training of individuals who are nominated by their organisation as potential future leaders.
The following grants are available per round:
- 10 grants of 2,500 Euro
- 4 grants of 5,000 Euro
- 2 grants of 7,000 Euro
- The nominator should be someone who knows the candidate well and is familiar with her/his aims and goals and can vouch for her/his bona fides. Self-nomination is in no case accepted by JWH Initiative;
- Candidates should be ‘young’ people who work or are affiliated with environmental CSO’s in developing countries and emerging economies who have shown potential for and interest in further developing their leadership. (JWH Initiative generally defines ‘young’ as individuals under 35 years of age. However, it mainly refers to people who work in junior positions in their organisations who have the potential and ambition to develop into a leadership role.)
- The candidate, furthermore, has proof of an excellent track record in: fully embracing the idea of sustainable development with a focus on ecological sustainability; being committed to working for the CSO sector; showing potential and ambition towards becoming a leader in his/her field of work, such as being inspirational to others, working with communities, etc.
- Application for nominations must be done in English. The information provided should be typed appropriately in the spaces provided in the nomination form. All fields need to be filled in. Failure to fill in the form correctly and completely might render the nomination invalid
- Individuals from these countries cannot participate: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States
Before submitting the nomination, please ensure the following requirements are included in the email:
- A completed nomination form;
- A copy of the candidate’s CV;
- A recent digital picture of the candidate that clearly shows the face (front view).
All applications must be submitted electronically through email, addressed to: Daan Robben – Coordinator JWH Initiative via [email protected]
For more information, visit Joke Waller-Hunter Initiative Grants.