Online News Association (ONA) Conference Fellowships 2018 for Journalists and students (Fully-funded)
Deadline: June 28, 2018
The Online News Association (ONA) is accepting applications for the MJ Bear Fellowship and the CNN Diversity Fellowship. Each year, ONA offers many and varied opportunities that help digital journalists and students cover the costs of attending the annual conference and connect you to resources for professional development.
Applications are open for two fellowship programs for emerging and diverse talent to attend the conference: the MJ Bear Fellowship and the CNN Diversity Fellowship.
1. MJ Bear Fellowship: Each year, ONA awards Fellowships in the name of the late MJ Bear, a much-loved ONA founding member, to three rising stars in digital journalism — two fellows from the United States or Canada and one fellow from any other country. The fellows are up-and-coming journalists who are just beginning to make their voices heard in the industry and working to expand the boundaries of digital news. They’re looking for working journalists under 30 who are driving innovation in the industry.
- Registration, travel and accommodations for ONA18 and the Online Journalism Awards Ceremony, Sept. 13-15 in Austin
- Recognition and speaking opportunity at ONA18
- Three online coaching sessions
- ONA membership, with three years’ dues paid in full
2. CNN Diversity Fellowship: Digital journalists from diverse backgrounds with experience reporting for mobile and social platforms are encouraged to apply for the CNN Diversity Fellowship at ONA17. Four winners will receive an all-expenses-paid trip to the ONA conference in Washington D.C. Oct. 5-7.
These benefits include:
- Complimentary registration for the conference
- Roundtrip economy-class airfare to Austin
- Four nights’ accommodation at the venue, JW Marriott
- Some meals included within conference registration
Winners also participate in one-on-one networking and mentoring events throughout the conference.
- The MJ Bear Fellowship is open to journalists under age 30 — two in the United States or Canada and one international — whose innovative work in independent, community and corporate news represents the best of new media.
- The CNN Diversity Fellowship is open to digital journalists from diverse backgrounds with experience reporting for mobile and social platforms
For more information, visit ONA Conference Fellowships.