Deadline: June 30, 2018
Applications are open for the Asia Pacific Forum on Women Law and Development (APWLD) Media Fellowship Program 2018. APWLD is inviting five women media professionals across Asia-Pacific region to participate in their inaugural media fellowship programme that aims to strengthen media advocacy on grassroots issues through a feminist lens. The fellowship theme this year is on climate change as they wish to strengthen a feminist analysis on this topic and climate justice, especially in mainstream and alternative media spaces.
With this fellowship, the APWLD sees a severe need to strengthen the gender analysis, and aim to start a conversation in mainstream and alternative media, setting a context for feminist, fossil fuel free futures as a driver for just and equitable transitions for climate justice. There is an urgency in communicating the possibility of having climate just future in the deadlock of negotiations where countries and private sector still work on the lines of ‘development’ agenda in the linear economic models.
The duration of the fellowship will be from August 2018 – January 2019. During this time period women journalists will have an option to produce news articles, features, audio-video content/documentary or digital stories with a feminist lens that highlight the linkages between gender, ecological conflicts and climate change.
- Selected journalists will be given a stipend of USD $1,000 to cover expenses for research and travel according to workplans co-developed with APWLD.
- Open to women media professionals from Asia-Pacific with at least 4 years of experience.
- Experience in covering women’s human rights, grassroots movements, environmental issues or climate change will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated commitment to the promotion of women’s human rights in your respective countries and /or Asia-Pacific.
- Commitment to feminist movement building.
- Must be able to travel overseas as required.
- Proficient in English and a language from Asia Pacific region.
Terms and Conditions
- Fellow journalists will be expected to produce three written pieces of 1,000-1,200 words each. Out of the three pieces, at least two should focus specifically on APWLD members or partners and cover one of the campaign/advocacy priorities of APWLD, e.g. Feminist, fossil fuel free future, Ecological/Environmental Justice or Just and Equitable Transitions.
- If fellow journalists alternatively choose an audio-visual medium, they will produce two pieces of at least five minutes each. Out of the two pieces, at least one should focus specifically on APWLD members or partners and cover one of the campaign/advocacy priorities of APWLD, e.g. Feminist, fossil fuel free future, Ecological/Environmental Justice or Just and Equitable Transitions.
- Fellow journalists can also choose to work across audio-visual media and text mediums. They will produce two pieces out of which, at least one should focus specifically on APWLD members or partners and cover one of the campaign/advocacy priorities of APWLD, e.g. Feminist, fossil fuel free future, Ecological/Environmental Justice or Just and Equitable Transitions.
- There will be some flexibility in length of written text and audio-visuals on a case-by-case basis.
- Ideally, fellow journalists should submit letters from editors assuring their work will be published.
- The pieces can be long features, advocacy-focused, data driven, or documentary style.
- The fellowship partners will receive continuous support from APWLD Secretariat for shaping the articles and analysis.
- The fellowship partners commit to be in a close, regular communications with APWLD Secretariat.
The applicant should submit an expression of interest with the following documents:
- A completed application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two work samples of any medium
- A letter of endorsement from media organisation if full time employee, or a letter of endorsement from an editor if a freelance journalist
- Letter from editor assuring news stories will be published; Optional for freelance journalists
Please send completed forms via email with the subject line “Application for Media Fellowship 2018” to Neha Gupta at [email protected], by no later than June 30, 2018, midnight Bangkok time. Please note that incomplete applications will not be entertained.
For more information, visit APWLD Media Fellowship.