The Saville Foundation Pan-African Awards for Entrepreneurship in Education 2018 (Win $15,000 USD)
Deadline: August 14, 2018
The Saville Foundation is accepting applications for the Pan-African Awards for Entrepreneurship in Education 2018. The Pan African Awards is an annual competition that seeks out the very best organisations who are using enterprise and entrepreneurship to innovate in the field of education in Africa.
In Africa, the continent home to the largest youth population in the world, educators face a critical challenge: how to teach an ever-growing number of students using limited resources while also helping young people develop skills for the future. Entrepreneurship has proven to be a successful practice for funding education while also giving students and out-of-school youth a platform for gaining real-life professional experience.
Now, organisations providing young people with hands-on business experience or using community-based business solutions to fund education have the chance to win $15,000 USD for their work through the Pan-African Awards for Enterprise in Education.
The main features of projects and programmes they award are:
- Entrepreneurial – tackling problems in education by teaching, training and empowering young people through hands-on entrepreneurial experience or generating income to fund education.
- Sustainable – generates funding beyond donations and subsidies as a primary source of income, able to retain and grow participants and promotes environmental protection.
- Create Impact – demonstrate measurable results for educational achievement and economic outcomes for participants and the wider community.
- Experiential – provide students with hands-on experience in a live environment.
Top Prize – $15,000
2 Runner Up Prizes – $5,000
Future Partner Prize – $5,000
All winners will also win a fully funded spot for one delegate at the annual Education That Pays conference.
- The competition is open to all organizations with a focus on education located in one of the 55 African countries for which awards are available (see above).
- Entries can be submitted on behalf on another organization – e.g. by non-African NGOs on behalf of their local partner / office – however prize monies and conference travel bursaries must be claimed by and used for the benefit of, the Africa-based organization itself.
- The full list of African countries for which awards are available is as follows: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Democratic Republic of the), Congo Brazzaville (also known as Republic of the Congo), Côte d’Ivoire (commonly known as Ivory Coast), Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Entries may be submitted in English or French. Competition entries received in other languages cannot be accepted.
All entries must be accompanied by work contact details of a suitable referee who is able to confirm that the contents of the entry are a true and accurate representation of the entrant’s work
- Referees must be
- independent of your organisation and
- either a government official, qualified professional, or senior employee of an internationally recognized institution.
- Qualified professionals for the purpose of this competition include: teachers (employed by a different institution), doctors, lawyers, judges, accountants, bankers, engineers, and police officers.
- Referees cannot include family members of the entrant. If you have any doubts about whether your referee meets these criteria please contact competitions@TeachAManToFish.org.uk prior to submitting an entry
- Read the application tips in the Application Guide
- Review the Terms and Conditions
- Download our Practice Form to see the questions on the application and prepare your answers
Entries can be submitted through the website using the online competition entry form. Offline applications will not be accepted. Winners will be announced in mid-September 2018
For more information, visit Pan-African Awards.