Fak’ugesi African Digital Innovation Festival’s Creative Residency 2018 (Funded to Johannesburg)
Deadline: July 9, 2018
Applications are open for the Fak’ugesi African Digital Innovation Festival’s Creative Residency 2018. In collaboration with Pro Helvetia Johannesburg & the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation calls for artists addressing technology and/or creative technologists to participate in the annual Fak’ugesi African Digital Innovation Festival’s creative residency in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The focus of the Fak’ugesi Festival in 2018 is the role vernacular and traditional cultures in digital culture and practices. What would you call a vernacular algorithm? Is it hidden knowledge that exists deep in language and culture. In 2018 Fak’ugesi Festival calls on you to explore the algorithms, patterns and fractals of your indigenous culture! In digital art, music, animation, memes, architecture, poetry, games, VR or the way you braid your hair!
The residency provides the opportunity to spend four weeks thinking, experimenting and working in a dynamic cross-disciplinary environment together with counterparts from around the world, with mentorship and support provided by professionals in the digital arts field, leading up to the presentation of preliminary work and ideas in the context of the Fak’ugesi digital arts festival in Johannesburg in September 2018.
Successful applicants are required to be in Johannesburg for the full residency period. Residents are expected to develop work in residence (either collaboratively with the other residents or independently). Residents are expected to engage publically through their practice with attendees via either workshops or talks. The required residency outcome is to produce a work (the format is open: installation, screen based, performance, app, game, etc.) for a final exhibition to open on Friday the 8th September 2017 as part of the Fak’ugesi Festival program in Johannesburg.
- Travel to and from Johannesburg, accommodation, per diems, and foundational production budget cost will be covered
- Some mentorship and production support towards an exhibition will be provided.
- Open to artists addressing technology and/or creative technologists
- Applicants should be from an SADC member state: South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Madagascar, Mauritius, Malawi, Zambia, Angola, DRC and Tanzania;
- The residency will also involve the participation of artists from North Africa, South Asia and Switzerland.
Applicants should send their details as stated here to email@example.com
For more information, visit Fak’ugesi Digital Africa Residency Program.