Deadline: July 31, 2018
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is looking for Youth in Landscapes Network Intern. The Youth in Landscapes Network Intern will facilitate the growth of the network through community building, promotion and ensuring that programs serve the broader youth community through working with the GLF Youth Coordinator.
CIFOR envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, they aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, they conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people.
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is the world’s largest intersectoral platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move toward more resilient, climate friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and, thereby, sustainable landscapes. The GLF believes in the unique change-making capacity of young people and seeks to foster a strong youth community of practice through the Youth in Landscapes Initiative and the execution of youth-led programs.
The Youth in Landscapes Initiative (YIL) is a partnership for young landscape leaders currently coordinated by the Young Professionals for Agricultural Development (YPARD), the International Forestry Students Association (IFSA) and the Global AgroEcology Alliance (GAEA). YIL exists to unite and empower youth (aged 18–35 years) from diverse backgrounds around the world to have a voice, learn and effect positive change in their landscapes and livelihoods. YIL accomplishes this through a focus on leadership training, capacity building, community building, mentorship and fostering intergenerational dialogue.
Duties and responsibilities
The primary objective of the Youth in Landscapes Network Intern is to facilitate the growth of the network through community building, promotion and ensuring that programs serve the broader youth community through working with the GLF Youth Coordinator.
- Coordinate regularly with the Youth in Landscapes Steering Committee and GLF Youth Coordinator.
- Assist in creating and delivering youth programs at GLF events, primarily the 2-day training at GLF Nairobi.
- Maintain all Youth in Landscapes pages on the GLF website.
- Assist in knowledge management and regularly update activities and information of YIL partner organizations – International Forestry Students’ Association, Young Professionals for Agricultural Development, IFSA, YPARD, GAEA, and others (IAAS, EGEA, GYBN, CSAYN, etc.).
- Lead outreach to associate partners and youth organizations.
- Facilitate engagement and network building on social media (YIL FB groups).
- Craft communications material and regularly promote new opportunities.
- Undertake other key tasks and administration related to young people and GLF as they arise.
- Promote and assist in coordinating youth activities at GLF Nairobi and GLF Bonn, and help with related GLF activities.
- In collaboration with GLF staff, pitch and generate ideas for furthering youth engagement.
- Moderate social media platforms and newsletter, and maintain website.
- This is an internship opportunity for 6 months.
- CIFOR may provide the Intern with a monthly stipend or living allowance in accordance with the Project Document or as agreed with the Sponsor. The stipend or living allowance provided to the Intern shall follow the rate used by the Human Resources Unit for Interns at CIFOR.
- The duty station will be in Bonn, Germany.
Education, knowledge and experience
- a minimum of three years of BSc completed in international development, natural science, communication or related fields; recent graduates preferred
- excellent English writing skills
- experienced with online engagement, youth organizations, capacity development or event-management
- experienced with WordPress and social media
- experienced and/or comfortable with remote work.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- effective time management capabilities
- strong organizational and communication skills.
They will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
For more information, visit CIFOR.