Leaders Advancing Democracy (LEAD) Mongolia U.S. Exchange Program 2018 for Mongolian Emerging Leaders (Fully-funded)
Deadline: August 19, 2018
Applications for the Leaders Advancing Democracy (LEAD) Mongolia U.S. Exchange Program 2018 are now open. This is an initiative of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) in Mongolia implemented by World Learning.
They are looking for qualified Mongolian Emerging Leaders to take part in this important initiative. LEAD will bring together Emerging Leaders from different sectors – civil society, media, government, private sector, or academia – to work collaboratively to resolve issues important to you. Emerging Leaders join this special initiative as LEAD Mongolia Fellows.
LEAD Mongolia is helping to build the next generation of democratic champions through a variety of leadership opportunities, international exchanges, and civic education activities. World Learning is a nonprofit organization empowering people and strengthening institutions through education, sustainable development, and exchange programs in more than 60 countries.
They partner with and connect LEAD Mongolia Fellows through a transformative LEAD program experience, which intersects a variety of workshops, networking activities, projects for skills applications, and exchange. LEAD Mongolia will provide Fellows the opportunity to increase your leadership potential, work on projects important to you, meet like-minded peers from around Mongolia, gain knowledge and skills related to advocacy and citizen engagement, and more.
All major LEAD activities in Mongolia will take place in Ulaanbaatar.
- For both the US Exchange Program and for LEAD Mongolia Fellows taking part in activities from outside Ulaanbaatar, accommodations will include double-person hotel rooms or dorm lodging.
- A stipend will be provided during the US Exchange program to cover meals and incidentals.
- The cost of international and domestic travel, program-related ground transportation, and other logistical arrangements will also be covered for key activities.
- LEAD Mongolia is open to applicants between the ages of 25 and 40 who are able to articulate their unique vision for positive democratic development in Mongolia.
- Applicants also should have at least three years of professional work experience related to LEAD Mongolia program goals.
- Applicants should possess both the capacity and commitment to apply the experience gained through LEAD Mongolia in developing and implementing a project that will benefit an organization, specific community or policy solution. Please read the following information carefully before you apply to understand the program’s requirements, expectations, and applicant criteria.
Applicant criteria include:
- Between the ages of 25 and 40 (date of birth between 08/19/1978 – 08/19/1993)
- Applicants should have a minimum of three years of professional work experience in areas related to LEAD Mongolia program goals. Additional volunteer experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to being a leader of positive change in your community or organization.
- Demonstrated appreciation of the inherent dignity and value of all people.
- Vision for reform related to the key themes of environment & urbanization, unemployment & poverty alleviation, or anti-corruption & transparency
- Interest in networking and with other Emerging Leaders from diverse sectors and sharing your experiences with others.
- Ability to take part in the US Exchange Program. Successful applicants must have a valid Mongolian passport and strong English speaking abilities for travel to the US.
- Commitment to take part in the full program cycle including the implementation of a follow-on team project. You must have the time and willingness to put your passion and ideas to work during planning, execution and completion of the team project!
A team of evaluators will assess your experiences and the ideas you describe in the application essay questions. We strongly encourage LEAD Mongolia Fellows from diverse backgrounds, organizations, and political orientations to apply.
Preference will be given to applicants with relevant professional achievements who have not previously visited the US.
LEAD Mongolia 2018 US Exchange program application has 4 written essays (200-word limit) and 1 video essay (30-60 second) along with other essential information. The online application form will save your application work in progress only for 24 hours. Therefore, we highly encourage you to prepare written essays and video essay before you start completing the application.
Written Essays: 200-word limit
- LEAD Fellows are committed to creating positive impact through their work, in their communities, and in the lives of people around them. What concrete impact are you trying to bring about through your work? What leadership role did you play in creating this impact?
- What skills or unique attributes will you bring to the program and your project team?
- Social Inclusion is defined as “the process and goal of improving the ability, opportunity and dignity of people, disadvantaged on the basis of their identity, to take part in society”. In your opinion, what needs to change/improve for your community to be more socially inclusive? Please explain why?
- Describe a time you took a risk, personal or professional. What did you learn as a result?
Video Essay: Please respond to the following question with a minimum 30 maximum 60 seconds video in ENGLISH and provide the link to your uploaded video essay. Do make sure the link is accurate and the video is viewable.
- How do you intend to grow and expand your horizons after completion of the LEAD Mongolia program?
Frequently asked questions: https://bit.ly/2MytD86.
For more information, visit LEAD Mongolia.