Songkhla Artist Residency Program 2018-2019 in Thailand (Funded)
Deadline: August 15, 2018
Applications are invited for the Songkhla Artist Residency Program 2018-2019 in Thailand. The Residency Program favors artists who want to engage with the local community, want to learn about Songkhla’s local culture and reflect this back in their art, and can create art which captures the imagination of the local community. Four positions as artist-in-residence are being offered between November 2018 and January 2019. The residencies are from 4 weeks to 8 weeks in length.
The Songhkla Heritage Trust is a registered Non-Governmental-Organization in Thailand. Their mission is to promote the regional culture and encourage the revitalization of Songhkla’s old town. They are headquartered in the historic Red Rice Mill in Songkhla. Their team regularly teaches students and visitors about the history of Songkhla, organizes the “2nd Sunday Market” in the old town, and holds conferences on culture, heritage, and conservation.
- Each artist is provided with a free, private room with air-conditioning, a free studio/working space, a free exhibition space, a food stipend of 360 Baht per day, and 5000 Baht which can be used towards travel, incidentals, or art materials.
- They also provide each artist an English-speaking support team, to help those who want Thai language support. Access to the following can be made available on an “as needed” basis: basic office materials, office printer, scanner, a bicycle, etc.
- Open to citizens of all countries;
- Artists of all ages;
- All genres of art.
- They favor artists who:
- Want to engage with our local community;
- Want to learn about Songkhla’s local culture and reflect this back in their art;
- Can create art which captures the imagination of the local community.
Organizers hope that you will share your art with them during your residency. Specifically, they expect that residents will (at a minimum):
- Preform or share your art during the Songkhla Arts Festival (10 – 12 January 2019);
- Visit a school and share your art with the children;
- Discuss your art with adults during one of their small “Breakfast Talks”;
- Hold one workshop (children, students, and/or adults);
- Allow locals to visit your studio.
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Merit of past work;
- Ideas of how to engage and impact Songkhla’s local community through art.
There are two stages of applications:
- Stage One: Download the 1-page application form. After filling out the form, artists should take a picture of the completed form or save it as a PDF and send it to Ryan Anderson at [email protected] Alternatively, you can also send your completed form via Facebook via messenger (send to www.facebook.com/oxlaey). Ryan Anderson will send back an email or Facebook message, confirming that they have received your application. There are no other ways to apply (no calls, etc.). You must also share this link on social media: www.oxlaey.com/2018/03/songkhla-artresidency.
- Stage Two: If you are shortlisted as a finalist, you will be contacted again by Ryan Anderson for a video interview. After the video interview, finalists will be asked to submit a full proposal. They will choose 4 winners and 2 runners up.
For more information, visit Songkhla Artist Residency Program.