Deadline: August 31, 2018
Nominations are now open for the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) Leadership Award 2018. The Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Association of Nigeria (MWFAAN) in partnership with IREX International has launched the inaugural YALI Leadership Award to recognize, celebrate and encourage youths and individuals who are contributing immensely towards the pursuit of the sustainable development goals as well as youth and economic development in Nigeria.
There are many people doing great work in their communities. Do you know such a person? Nominate them for the YALI Leadership Award. The award recognizes and celebrates the next generation of young leaders across Nigeria. Potential Awardees will include YALI Network members, youth leaders across the country and some corporate Nigerians. By recognizing these young people, MWFAAN raises the status of socially responsible leaders in the country.
The awardees motivate their peers to seek excellence and serve others. Their stories of determination, resilience and ingenuity serve as an inspiration for young people to be better leaders and create positive change in our society.
Each nominee must be entered in one (1) of the following ten (10) categories:
- Politics & Governance: For any young person who actively participates in governance and has made outstanding contribution in that field.
- Social Enterprise: For a young person who has excelled in running a business or organization with social impact.
- Sports: For a young person who has excelled in the field of sports or is using sports as a tool for development
- Media and Entertainment: For a young person who has excelled in music, acting, dance, television, fashion and other fields of entertainment.
- Energy & Environmental Sustainability: For any young person providing services in the field of energy and promoting environmental sustainability.
- Disability Rights & Advocacy: For a young person who has demonstrated passion and commitment to the cause of people with disabilities.
- Education and Learning: For a young person who has made measurable impact and shown commitment in promoting education and learning.
- Social Justice & Human Rights Advocacy: For a young person who has demonstrated passion and commitment to a social or developmental cause and has made measurable impact on lives.
- Health and Well-being: For young persons providing services in the fields of health, nutrition, medicine and pediatric sciences.
- Science, Technology and Innovation: For a young researcher, scientist, innovator or inventor who has demonstrated commitment and achieved breakthrough in the field of innovation, science and technology.
- Awardees will receive a plaque, certificate and YALI Network professional development materials.
- The award would be presented during the MWFAAN Youth Summit on September 24, 2018 in Abuja, Nigeria. Travel and accommodation will be arranged and paid for by MWFAAN.
- Awardees would attend an exclusive networking dinner with Mandela Washington Fellows and other business and industry experts.
- Nominees must be within the ages of 18 and 35. Nominees born before January 1 of the preceding year are not eligible for the YALI Leadership Award.
- The nominee must be a citizen of Nigeria
- Mandela Washington Fellows are not eligible for nomination
Awards will be decided on the basis of:
- Vision: Demonstrates commitment and passion to the cause, evidenced through their service to that cause and through action.
- Level of Impact: Creates positive change that is of benefit to the wider community.
- Innovation/fresh approaches to problem solving
- Sustainability: Demonstrates ability to sustain the initiatives
- Anyone can nominate. Individuals can nominate themselves or be nominated by any individual or organization who can accurately describe their work;
- Nominations should be based on the significant work the nominee is doing;
- The nominee must have been engaged in development work for more than 12 months, either in a professional or voluntary capacity;
- The nominee must be a Nigerian citizen and the work must be taking place in Nigeria;
- The nominee should not be older than 35 years on 24th September 2018;
- The winners must agree to take part in publicity generated by the MWFAAN.
Complete the nomination form here.
For more information, visit YALI Leadership Award.