15th World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Awards
Deadline: October 31, 2018
Applications are now open for the 15th UNWTO Awards. The UNWTO Awards recognise the contribution of public and private institutions and NGOs to development of a more competitive, responsible and sustainable tourism sector that works towards achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda of the United Nations. Initiatives at local, national, regional and international levels are all considered.
The UNWTO Awards recognize innovation and sustainability in tourism by acknowledging the contribution of institutions – public, private or NGOs. The contribution of the awardees is in line with the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism and the principles and Sustainable Development Goals.
A further award, the UNWTO Ethics Award will also be announced in January 2019. The Award takes applications from signatories of the Private Sector Commitment to the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism, which is UNWTO’s flagship set of guidelines for a tourism sector built on ethical and responsible principles for sustainability. The call for applications for the UNWTO Ethics Award will be announced soon.
Since their creation the UNWTO Awards have recognized more than 70 institutions, with 2017 seeing 128 applications received. Winners in 2017 included Turismo de Portugal, the Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust of India, Indonesian booking platform Triponyu.com and Spain’s state tourism innovation society SEGITTUR.
The UNWTO Awards are now open for applications in the following categories:
- UNWTO Award in Public Policy and Governance
- UNWTO Award in Enterprises
- UNWTO Award in Non-Governmental Organizations
- Open to public and private institutions and NGOs
- The UNWTO Awards merit distinction for the significant contribution of tourism initiatives which are both competitive and sustainable. Candidates shall have been highly inspirational and have made a significant impact on the tourism sector which can be replicated.
- UNWTO Award in Public Policy and Governance: An initiative is highly innovative and managed by a public or public-private institution that reflects tangible and sustainable improvements in policy, processes, and governance. It works towards an inclusive model of tourism governance which involves diverse tourism stakeholders.
- UNWTO Award in Enterprises: An initiative presented by an enterprise that operates projects or offers products or services that are innovative in the tourism field. This innovation could be demonstrated through environmentally-friendly applications, social corporate responsibility engagement and other innovative contributions.
- UNWTO Award in Non-Governmental Organizations: An initiative managed by a non-governmental organization with a clear non-profit scope using grassroots, partnership, governance, and/or civil society actions as key factors for its achievements. The initiative is original and inspiring in its nature, objectives, resource management and results, highlighting tourism as a strategic tool for balanced and sustainable development in economic, social and/or environmental aspects.
Before you submit your application, they invite you to read carefully the following documents:
For further assistance, please contact email@example.com
Interested parties are encouraged to apply before 31 October 2018 (23:59 CET). Finalists will be notified in December 2018, with the award winners to be announced in January 2019.
For more information, visit 15th UNWTO Awards.