Luis Valtueña International Humanitarian Photography Award 2018 (up to 6,000 Euros)
Deadline: November 9, 2018
Entries are invited for the Luis Valtueña International Humanitarian Photography Award 2018. This award comes as a tribute to and in recognition of Luis Valtueña, Flors Sirera, Manuel Madrazo, and Mercedes Navarro, Médicos del Mundo aid workers killed in Rwanda in 1997 and in Bosnia in 1995 while performing their duties as international humanitarian aid workers.
Their memory serves to ensure that each year victims of injustice are brought to light. Give them a voice through your gaze. And in doing so, together, we can bring injustice to an end. The photographs submitted must narrate or tell a story related to these topics: humanitarian action, international cooperation, social exclusion, human rights violations, armed conflicts, natural disasters, refugee and immigrant populations or socially excluded groups.
- The winner will receive a project grant of 6,000 euros (amount before tax, which depends on the winner’s nationality and situation) to develop a photography project composed of at least 50 photos and a 30 minute video shoot related to the work of MdM-Spain, whether in Spain or in other countries where the organization is undertaking humanitarian action or international cooperation programs;
- The winner together with MdM-Spain will define the objectives and the development of the project, taking into account common interests and the operative security conditions related to possible destinations. The amount of the grant should cover all expenses needed to develop the project. Once the project’s terms are settled, MdM-Spain will not demand an account of those expenses. The grant will be given in three parts: 50% after the judges’ decision, 25% when the project starts and the remaining 25% when the project concludes. The photo project will have to be finished before the December 15, 2019.
- Open to adult amateur and professional photographers of any nationality.
Photographs and Formats
- Each participant will be allowed to submit a maximum of ten photographs, which can be different or part of a series. Only photos taken between January 1, 2017 and October 30, 2018, which have not been previously awarded, will be accepted. Photos must be submitted in digital format.
- Photographs must be sent in JPEG format with a minimum resolution of 300 ppi/ppp, all high quality (12) compressed images with an Adobe RGB or SRGB color profile. The images must have a minimum size of 40 cms on their smallest side.
- The digital image’s original structure can only be manipulated through darkroom techniques such as adjusting the brightness, contrast and color, underexposure and overexposure. No other change to the original digital image will be allowed.
- Only single frame photos will be accepted. Photomontages and multiple exposures will be excluded from the competition. In case of doubt about a possible digital alteration of the image, beyond what is allowed in the conditions of entry, the organization reserves the right to request from participants to supply the original unretouched photo file as recorded by the camera, or a scanned copy of any unaltered negative or slide.
- Photographs must be sent in JPEG format via WeTransfer
- The digital images must not bear any mark identifying the entrant. The images will be sent by E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “XXII PREMIO LUIS VALTUEÑA + ENTRANT’S NAME AND SURNAME“
- Along with the photographs, entrants must always submit a completed entry form.
For more information, visit Luis Valtueña International Humanitarian Photography Award.