Deadline: March 31, 2019
The 2019 MasterCard Foundation at Regional Universities Forum (RUFORUM) Scholarship Award is open for applications. The scholarships targets academically deserving yet economically disadvantaged communities and those coming from conflict and post-conflict areas of Africa. The scholarships are tenable at Egerton University in Kenya and Gulu University in Uganda.
The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM) in partnership with MasterCard Foundation, Gulu University and Egerton University are implementing an eight year program aimed at transforming African agricultural universities and their graduates to better respond to developmental challenges through enhanced application of science, technology, business and innovation for rural agricultural transformation.
The RUFORUM Technical Committee (RTC) has identified the following priority programs for the academic year 2019/2020 as eligible for application and to be supported.
- Bachelor of Science in Agri-Entrepreneurship and Communication Management
- Bachelor of Science in Food and Agribusiness
- Bachelor of Science in Biosystems Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
- Bachelor of Information and Communication Technology
- Master of Science in Agri-Enterprises Development
- Master of Science in Food Security and Community Nutrition
- Bachelor of Agribusiness Management
- Bachelor of Science in Community Development
- Bachelor of Science in Natural Resources Management
- Bachelor of Science in Animal Science and Technology
- Master of Science in Agricultural Extension
- Master of Science in Soil Science
- This is a full board comprehensive scholarship that covers: tuition fees, one return air ticket for African students from outside Uganda and Kenya, research costs, workshop and conference costs, living expenses including stipend and hostel, laptop, internship attachment, community engagement and field attachment, and entrepreneurship training.
This scholarship opportunity is open to African students of all race, colour, dissent and who in particular are economically disadvantaged and those coming from conflict and post-conflict areas of Africa.
- Applicants must be a national of Kenya and Uganda to benefit from the national respective scholarship quota;
- Be a citizen of any African country to benefit from the Africa region scholarship quota
- Be from economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities, coming from conflict and post conflict areas.
- Be less than 25 years for undergraduate and less than 30 years for Master’s studies at the time of application.
- Should have completed secondary school and/or diploma for a Bachelor’s degree application not more than two years from the time of this call. Continuing students are NOT eligible;
- The applicant should meet admission criteria to eligible programs in the University of choice (Egerton University or Gulu University);
- For admission into Gulu University for an undergraduate degree program one must have attained the High School Certificate (HSC) also known as Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACEl) or its equivalent. For admission into Egerton University one must have completed the Kenya Secondary Education Certificate (KSCE) or its equivalent;
- Demonstrate interest in agriculture, agribusiness and entrepreneurship;
- Demonstrate leadership qualities;
- Have commitment to working in agriculture and agricultural value chains;
- Have a strong commitment to community transformation;
- Females are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should obtain application forms for both the scholarships and admission from the university of choice. Applicants shall only apply to one university of choice. Application forms can also be downloaded by clicking following websites: RUFORUM; Gulu University and Egerton University. Applicants are encouraged to carefully study the application guidelines and provide all the required information and documents prior to submitting the application.
Download the MCF Application form.
Application forms (for admission and scholarship) must be submitted to the respective university of choice:
Prof. Nancy W. Mungai
TAGDev Program Coordinator
TAGDev Program’s Office Located in New Physics Block
P.O Box 536-20115, Egerton
Tel: +254 711 68 9880 or +254 720 390 893
Email: [email protected]
Academic Registrar, Gulu University
Awich Road, Laroo Division, Gulu municipality
P.O.Box 166 Gulu, Uganda
Tel: +256 782673491
Email: [email protected]
For more information, visit MCF@RUFORUM.