Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists Fellowships 2019 (Fully-funded to the UN General Assembly)
Deadline: March 1, 2019
Applications are open for the Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists Fellowships 2019. The Fellowship allows journalists from the mainly developing nations of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean to cover the United Nations General Assembly for approximately 10 weeks beginning in September each year.
The journalists who are awarded fellowships are given the incomparable opportunity to observe international diplomatic deliberations at the United Nations, to make professional contacts that will serve them for years to come, to interact with seasoned journalists from around the world, and to gain a broader perspective and understanding of matters of global concern. Many past fellows have risen to prominence in their professional and countries. The program is not intended to provide basic skills training to journalists; all participants are media professionals.
- The Fund will provide: round-trip airfare to New York; accommodations; health insurance for the duration of the fellowship, and a daily allowance to cover food and other necessities. The Fund will not be responsible for other expenses of a personal nature, such as telephone calls.
Open to individuals who:
- Are native to one of the mainly developing countries of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean. For 2019 only, the Fund will not accept applications from the countries of the 2018 fellows – Argentina, India, Kenya and Yemen – in an effort to rotate recipient countries;
- Currently live in and write for media in a developing country;
- Are between the ages of 25 and 35;
- Have a very good command of the English language since United Nations press conferences and many documents are in English only;
- Are currently employed as professional journalists for print, television, radio or internet media organizations. Both full-time and freelance journalists are invited to apply;
- Have approval from their media organizations to spend up to three months in New York reporting from the United Nations;
- Receive a commitment from their media organizations that the reports they file during the term of the Fellowship will be used and that they will continue to be paid for their services.
An originally completed and signed application (in Word or PDF), along with all six (6) of the Documentation Requirements, should be sent by postal or courier service (such as DHL, FedEx, Airborne) to:
Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists
512 Northampton Street, No. 124A
Edwardsville, PA 18704 USA
For more information, visit Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists.