World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship 2019 for Aspiring Writers (Win a trip to Portugal)
Deadline: March 13, 2019
Apply for the World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship 2019. This year they are looking for 3 aspiring travel writers to go on assignment in Portugal and be mentored by professional travel writer and contributor to The New York Times, Tim Neville.
On the trip you’ll attend a comprehensive travel writing workshop with Tim and witness the evolution of this age-old civilisation as it emerges as a hub for digital nomads and creatives. Then, you’ll be sent off to uncover the stories of the people who give life to the historical heart, sweeping coastlines and cobbled lanes of one of the oldest countries in Europe.
- Receive a round-trip airfare from your closest international airport to Portugal;
- Attend a 4-day workshop with Tim Neville and receive a portfolio review from Norie Quintos;
- Embark on a bespoke 10-day adventure with US $1000 and free accommodation;
- Score a copy of Lonely Planet’s ‘How to be a Travel Writer’;
- Explore more of Portugal and Europe with a 1-month Global Eurail (or Interrail) pass;
- As always, travel insurance for the trip provided by World Nomads.
- Open to aspiring writers from all around the world;
- The scholarship is not open to professional writers of any kind. Essentially this is a ‘learning opportunity’ for someone who is looking for an introduction into the travel writing industry and more importantly, is keen to be mentored;
- For the purposes of this opportunity, World Nomad would consider you to be professional writer if you have been published regularly in commercial blogs, newspapers, magazines or journals. They would also consider you to be a professional writer if you derive more than 25% of your income from writing of any kind;
- If you have only had a few stories published, or keep a regular travel blog then they would not consider this professional.
To be chosen for this scholarship you’ll need to convince the judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing. Your writing should showcase:
- Great descriptive ability (without getting flowery)
- A well-structured narrative and a strong eye for detail
- Ability to uncover a great travel story and tell it in a compelling way
- Excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés
- Select your story theme
- ‘A leap into the unknown’
- ‘Making a local connection’
- ‘I didn’t expect to find’
- Write a travel story
- Use your chosen theme to craft a compelling story about a travel experience you’ve had in 700 words or less
- Complete the application form: Fill in your personal details so we know how to contact you should you make the shortlist.
For more information, visit World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship.