Deadline: March 7, 2019
Applications are open for the UN OHCHR’s Regional Office for South America Internship Program 2019. The 3-month full-time internship is at the department of Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean based in Santiago.
The mission of OHCHR’s Regional Office for South America is to observe, promote and protect human rights in seven countries across the region: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela. To that end, they establish relationships for close cooperation, technical assistance and permanent dialogue with governments, national human rights institutions, civil society organizations, UN country teams and agencies, among others. They contribute to strengthening the capacity of these actors, so as to improve the promotion and protection of human rights, according to international norms.
Under the general guidance of the Public Information Officer and the direct supervision of Information Assistant, the intern will assist in implementing order, classification and visualization initiatives for the physical and digital librarian material of the office of the High Commissioner, including the following functions:
- Review the stock and integrity of the library materials and participate in the redesign of the library’s physical space.
- Develop a database that contains all publications in existence in the office and their quantities.
- Contribute to the updating of the Library’s digital repository.
- Develop services that increase the visibility of the digital library, internally and externally.
- Contribute to the improvement of a library communications plan and ensures that internal and external users are informed of the new resources offered by the digital library.
- Prepare promotional and interactive Library materials about services and information resources.
- The internship is UNPAID. All costs of travel and accommodation, including living expenses, must be covered by the intern or any relevant sponsoring institution.
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- For this internship, studies in library sciences are desirable;
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme;
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Advanced knowledge of Spanish (both oral and written) is required for the Internship Programme. Advanced knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language would be an asset.
Other competencies include:
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
For more information, visit UN Internship.