Al Alfi PhD Fellowship in Applied Sciences and Engineering 2019 at American University in Cairo
Deadline: April 15, 2019
Applications are open for the Al Alfi PhD Fellowship in Applied Sciences and Engineering 2019 at American University in Cairo. The Al Alfi Ph.D. fellowship program is designed to prepare future scientists and industrial leaders who are Egyptian nationals and who have strong knowledge and skills in science and engineering.
The program is intended to enable qualified Egyptian science and engineering graduates to attend AUC on an 83.3% tuition coverage scholarship basis. The long-term objective of the program is to develop the manpower for research and development in the region by providing the skill sets for future scientists who are easily recruited in prominent positions in Egypt and the region. The fellowship is awarded for a maximum of four years with a review every semester for satisfactory academic performance.
Responsibilities of Fellows
- The program mandates a full-time research position at the AUC PhD program with no outside professional or job commitments.
- Fellows are expected to complete the academic program (72 credit hours) in a maximum of four years from their date of admission, except for the students who require English language training.
- Fellows are expected to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5
- Fellows are to cover the tuition fees of one course (three credit hours) per academic year for every five courses covered by the fellowship
- In support of their professional training, fellows are assigned nine hours per week of teaching assistantship in an AUC science and engineering department
The fellowship covers:
- 83.3% coverage of the tuition fees equivalent to 15 credit hours (five courses out of six) per academic year
- Student services and activities fee
- A monthly stipend
- Research and Conference grants
- Open to Egyptian nationals
- Must have a master of science degree with a thesis track in an engineering or science discipline from an accredited university
- Meet AUC’s PhD graduate admissions requirements
- Minimum grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale or very good (gayed geddan)
- Submission of a preliminarily proposed dissertation topic and a research outline, specifying how the topic is related to one or more of the research priority areas
- Relevant scientific research background and experience
- Priority will be given to applicants who have obtained their MSc from a national university outside Cairo and Alexandria
- Demonstrate financial need
- Priority Research Areas: Applicants to the fellowship must be planning to pursue graduate research in an area that addresses one of the national challenges facing Egypt. The applicant will be expected to submit a statement in which he/she will explain how their proposed research is aligned with one or more of the Priority Research Areas listed below:
- Renewable energy
For more information, visit Al Alfi PhD Fellowship.