Brower Youth Award for Environmental Leadership 2019 (Fully-funded to San Francisco)
Deadline: May 1, 2019
Applications are invited for the Brower Youth Award for Environmental Leadership 2019. Earth Island Institute established The Brower Youth Award for Environmental Leadership in 2000 to honor renowned environmental advocate David Brower.
David Brower, was quoted as saying “I love to see what young people can do, before someone old tells them it’s impossible.” It is with this spirit that they recognize the outstanding leadership efforts of young people who are working for the protection of our shared planet. The Brower Youth Awards are housed in the New Leaders Initiative program at Earth Island Institute. This is the 20th year of honoring bold, young leaders for their outstanding work in the environmental movement.
- Each of the six recipients of the Brower Youth Awards will receive a $3,000 cash prize, a professionally produced short film about their work from an Emmy award winning film crew, and flight and lodging accommodations for a week long trip to the San Francisco Bay Area.
- During their stay in California, the recipients will participate in a coaching, visioning, leadership activities, speaking and media engagements. They invest in their continued success by providing ongoing access to resources, mentors, and opportunities to develop leadership skills. The week of activities culminates in the awards ceremony in front of more than 800 guests in San Francisco on October 15, 2019.
- Youth environmental change leaders ages 13 to 22 (as of May 1, 2019) living in North America (including Mexico, Canada, some Caribbean Islands) and US “Territories” are encouraged to apply.
Applicants are assessed on the following criteria:
- Outstanding Youth Leadership: You played the major leadership role in creating, organizing and implementing your project or campaign(s).
- Issue & Approach: Your project is applying fresh solutions and approach to relevant environmental challenges.
- Project Impact, Scalability, & Replicability: Is the project’s impact significant? Can your work be used as a model for other communities or campuses?
- Charisma, Personal Commitment & Trajectory: What draws you to this work? What would winning the Brower Youth Award mean to you?
Each applicant must submit:
- Photograph of yourself
- If you are a finalist, you will be asked for a letter of support from someone who is familiar with you and your environmental work (cannot be from a parent or guardian)
Please contact the organizers well in advance of the deadline for support with the submission of your application or clarifying questions by emailing: [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until 8:59 pm Pacific Standard Time on May 1, 2019. Applications submitted after the deadline due to technical issues will not be accepted.
For more information, visit Brower Youth Award for Environmental Leadership.