African Studies Association (ASA) Bethwell A. Ogot Book Prize 2019
Deadline: April 30, 2019
Applications are open for the African Studies Association (ASA) Bethwell A. Ogot Book Prize 2019. The Prize is awarded annually at the ASA Annual Meeting to the author of the best book on East African Studies published in the previous calendar year.
The award was made possible by a generous bequest from the late Kennell Jackson, Ph.D., a historian of African history at Stanford University who passed away in 2005. At Prof. Jackson’s request, the award has been established to honor Dr. Bethwell A. Ogot, the distinguished Kenyan historian and public servant.
- Scholarly works published in any country, in any language in the previous calendar year are eligible for the award;
- Edited collections, new editions of previously published works, bibliographies, dictionaries and works of fiction are not eligible;
- For the purposes of this award East Africa is defined to include the territories of present day Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Sudan, Southern Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia (as constituted at independence), Djibouti, Eritrea, and Mauritius.
- For the purposes of this prize, scholarly works will be understood broadly to encompass works informed by an understanding of the scholarship in a given field or fields. In making its selection the prize committee will pay particular attention to significance, originality and quality of writing.
- To nominate a book, publishers should send a nomination letter outlining the book’s significance. They should provide their name, publisher, address, email address, telephone, fax, the title(s) nominated, and a copy of each title to each member of the 2019 Ogot Prize Committee.
- The ASA highly encourages publishers to submit nominated titles in PDF form, as this will allow the association to be more effective in ensuring that academics that are traveling and/or are based in Africa can participate in the prize committee and have access to the nominated titles.
Please also send an email indicating the contact person, publisher, address, email address, telephone, fax, and the title(s) of the nominated publication(s) to the African Studies Association at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit Bethwell A. Ogot Book Prize.