Goethe-Institut/Bureau de liaison Ouagadougou Writer’s in Residency Program 2019/2020 (Funded)
Deadline: July 7, 2019
Are you a writer in Africa looking for a chance to hone you writing skills? The Goethe-Institut/Bureau de liaison Ouagadougou is setting up a writer’s residency for young African writers (less than 40 years) in 2019/20 in Burkina Faso.
This residency program aims to give a platform for free expression
- to writers who project the vision of (another) future in their writings,
- to writers who have restrictions of expression in their country of origin,
- to activist writers who express themselves in relation to social and/ or political transformations and challenges in their countries.
- Cost of transportation (from home country to Burkina Faso) and visa will be covered
- Accommodation during the 4 weeks residency will be provided
- Grant of 1,500 Euro for the residency period (incl. per diem and private transport) – paid in place in two instalments.
- Open to writers of all literary genres: novel, poetry, essay, storytelling, narration, theatre, comic, etc. The production of a text is mandatory for the authors in residence. The texts produced will be published at the end of 2020, either in physical or digital version;
- Be under 40 years old;
- Have at least one published text, either with a publisher or a newspaper, on a blog or website or as a self-publication;
- Be of African nationality by origin or by naturalization;
- Have a writing project to develop during the residency;
- Be available from November 2019.
Application and document to provide:
- Letter of motivation specifying your author’s career, your personal situation,
- Your expectations and the reasons for your application for the residency
- Description of your project to develop during the residency
- Curriculum Vitae
- Full biography (max. 500 words)
- PDF or links of texts already published
The applications shall be sent to the following addresses:
Carolin Christgau, Director Goethe-Institut:
Francois d’Assise Ouédraogo, Assistant Goethe-Institut:
For more information, visit Goethe-Institut/Bureau de liaison Ouagadougou Writer’s in Residency Program.