TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2019/2020 (Funded)
Deadline: June 30, 2019
Applications are open for the TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2019/2020. TWAS and the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata, India have agreed to offer fellowships to young foreign scientists from developing countries who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in physical sciences.
TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata, India for studies leading towards a PhD degree in the physical sciences for four years with the possibility of a one-year extension.
The Centre carries out the following research activities:
- Linear and Non-linear spectroscopy, Ultrafast molecular processes and spectroscopy, Ultrafast dynamics in biological macromolecules and magnetization, Ultrafast laser induced processes, Soft condensed matter systems of chemical and biological interests, mesocopic physics, ionic liquids, multi-component liquid mixtures, supercooled melts, supercritical fluids, bio-nano interface, nano-magnetism, magnonic crystals, micromagnetic simulations, Nanomaterials in general, and Physics of Correlated oxides, low dimensional systems, magnetic shape memory alloys, dilute magnetic semi-conductors, multi-ferroic materials, thin films of metals and oxides, electronic, magnetic and structural properties of complex materials, superconductivity, strongly correlated electronic systems, quantum many-body physics, micromagnetic and monte carlo simulation of static and dynamic properties of nanomagnets, theoretical study of thermalconductivity, Ab initio plane wave pseudo-potential calculation, strongly correlated electron systems, electronic structure and transport through nano-materials.
- Quantum field theory, mathematical physics, cognitive science, granular physics, non-commutative quantum mechanics, statistical physics, non-linear dynamics, turbulences, lattice gauge theories, representation theory of lie groups and coherent states, quantum optics, black holes, constrained dynamics, quantum gravity, quantum spin systems, collective behaviour and emergent phenomena, explosive percolation, complex networks and critical phenomena.
- Cosmology, Relativistic Astrophysics, ionospheric science, Astrochemistry.
- S.N. Bose will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs and food. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. Free on-campus accommodation will be provided. The monthly stipend does not cover comprehensive health insurance. The Centre does however deduct a small contribution towards a Contributory Medical Scheme. The benefits are partial reimbursement of Doctor’s fees, medicines and/or hospitalization costs, if any, and only for costs incurred in Kolkata. The reimbursement structure is along the lines of the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) of the Government of India.
- The S.N. Bose Centre does not provide comprehensive health or medical insurance to its staff or students. All SN Bose-TWAS fellows must have their own “Medical Insurance” before joining the programme to cover medical emergencies.
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India);
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country;
- Hold a Masters Degree in physics, mathematics or physical chemistry. S/He must have completed at least a total 5 years of undergraduate and postgraduate studies in a recognized university or institute.
- Be accepted by a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre. Prospective applicants are advised to visit the S.N. Bose National Centre’s website www.bose.res.in Requests for acceptance must be directed to the Dean (Academic Programme), S.N. Bose National Centre for Sciences by e-mail ([email protected]) or fax: (+91) 33 2335 3477. In contacting the Dean (Academic Programme), applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with copy of their CV, a research proposal outline and two reference letters
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
For more information, visit TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship.