PASET-RSIF PhD Scholarship Programme 2019
Deadline: July 22, 2019
Applications are open for the PASET-RSIF PhD Scholarship Programme 2019. PASET-RSIF is offering up to 45 PhD scholarships at one of ten RSIF African Host Universities.
The 3-4 Year Doctoral Training Scholarship is offered in the following thematic areas: ICTs including big data and artificial intelligence; Food security and agribusiness; Minerals, Mining and Materials Engineering; Energy including renewables, and Climate Change. The RSIF scholarship will be awarded in September 2019.
PASET-RSIF will provide full scholarships and will cover the following:
- The scholarships cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and research support.
- Return airfare from/to home country
- RSIF scholars are eligible to benefit from competitive research grant awards by submitting proposals in collaboration with faculty and international partners to strengthen their research excellence.
- Open to nationals of a sub-Saharan African country who do not have a PhD degree. Preference will be given to young faculty without PhD degrees;
- Women are especially encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to women and existing young academic faculty at African Universities;
- Young African scientists and engineers who are entering academia, industry or business;
- Hold a Master’s degree in a relevant field, and must be willing to enroll into a full-time PhD program at an RSIF African Host University;
- Additional specific entrance requirements will be considered for admission depending on the eligible PhD program at the RSIF AHU selected by the candidate
- A working knowledge of English or French (written & spoken);
- Completed application forms and accompanying supporting documents must be received online.
RSIF Host Universities
- Energy including Renewables
- University of Nairobi, Kenya, PhD Program in Physics
- University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria, PhD Program in Petroleum and Gas Engineering / Energy Economics
- ICTs including Big Data and Artificial Intelligence
- University of Gaston Berger, Senegal/ Africa Center of Excellence for Mathematics, Informatics, and ICT (MITIC)
- University of Rwanda / Africa Centre of Excellence in Internet of Things (ACEIoT), PhD Program in Internet of Things: Embedded Computing Systems
- Food Security and Agribusiness
- University of Ghana, PhD. Applied Agricultural Economics and Policy/Agribusiness
- Sokoine University of Agriculture, Tanzania/ Africa Center of Excellence for Infectious Diseases of Humans and Animals in Southern and Eastern Africa (SACIDS)
- Minerals, Mining and Materials Engineering
- Kenyatta University, Kenya PhD Program in Materials Science
- The Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST), Tanzania
- Climate Change
- Bayero University / Centre for Dryland Agriculture, Nigeria, PhD Program in Natural Resource Management and Climate Change
- University of Felix Houphouet-Boigny, Cote d’Ivoire/ Africa Center of Excellence for Climate Change Biodiversity and Sustainable Agriculture (CCBAD)
The application process is two-fold:
- Applications for places should be made to the preferred RSIF African Host University. AHUs and their individual application forms are listed here. Kindly see section 3.0 on the application form for specific requirements for the university you are applying to. Please note, you DO NOT need to submit a separate application to the University directly. You also DO NOT need to pay any application fees at this time.
- Once the applicant meets the University qualifications, and they have collected all the documents to be uploaded including the completed application form, then they can proceed to apply for the scholarship.
The following documents would be required for application:
- Completed application form for the RSIF African Host University and PhD Program you are applying
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the Europass Format: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Certified copies of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates. Please combine into one file. If necessary, you may zip the file to make it smaller for uploading. For pdf files, can reduce the size using the online tool at https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf
- Certified copies of university transcripts for Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. Please combine into one file. If necessary, you may zip the file to make it smaller for uploading.
- Copy of a signed recommendation letter from your employer (if currently employed) or University where MSc was undertaken. The letter must be on institute letterhead.
- If applicable, an official letter confirming that you will be granted study leave from your place of employment. The letter must be on official letterhead.
- Additional documents will be required by the RSIF African Host University in which you are applying. See section 3.0 of the application form for more details on the specific eligibility criteria and application requirements
- Copy of Passport biodata page (the page that has your picture and personal details)
For more information, visit PASET-RSIF PhD Scholarship.