Apply: AIMS Health and Interventions Monitoring with Artificial Intelligence – HIMAI Program (Postdoc & PhD positions available)
Deadline: August 30, 2019.
The African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) invites applications for the Health and Interventions Monitoring with Artificial Intelligence – HIMAI program. Qualified men and women of any nationality can apply for postdoc and PhD positions available in the HIMAI project. By using approaches substantially reliant on machine learning and AI, the HIMAI project seeks to transform the practice of pharmacovigilance and the diagnosis and control of various diseases.
Successful applicants will be based in their Rwandan campus, and may be temporarily placed in collaborating wet/engineering labs in Rwanda and elsewhere, depending on their research topic.
Research interests span from engineering to science and include, but are not limited to, the following:
- computational medicine: AI-powered medical diagnostic & prognostic devices (engineering); mathematical modeling for understanding disease processes (science)
- computational epidemiology: AI-powered epidemic surveillance and climate-smart early warning systems (engineering); mathematical modeling for understanding epidemic spread and control options (science)
- advanced probability theory and statistics
- advanced calculus
- pattern-based (including deep learning) & theory-driven machine learning
- programming in Python, C++
- software development for feature & smart phones
- 3D printing
- digital circuit design
- hybridization capture of nucleic acids
- nanopore sequencing
Minimum academic qualifications:
- PhD in mathematical science (for postdoc positions)
- MSc in biological or mathematical science (for PhD positions)
Successful PhD applicants may be required to take remedial courses in computing, calculus, and/or statistics.
Email CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “HIMAI application”. Have two confidential reference letters sent under separate cover to the same email address with the subject line “HIMAI application reference”.
Applications from women are strongly encouraged.
For more information, visit AIMS HIMAI program.