AAUW Career Development Grants 2020 for Women the US (up to $12,000)
Deadline: November 15, 2020
Applications are open for the AAUW Career Development Grants 2020 for Women the US. The Career Development Grants provide funding to women who hold a bachelor’s degree and are preparing to advance or change careers or re-enter the workforce in education, health and medical sciences, or social sciences.
AAUW originally designed Career Development Grants in 1972 to offer “encouragement” funding to AAUW members seeking to renew or resume academic work for credit toward career or employment advancement.
Today, grants support course work beyond a bachelor’s degree, including a master’s degree, second bachelor’s degree, certification program or specialized training in technical or professional fields. Course work must be taken at an accredited two- or four-year college or university in the United States or at a technical school that is fully licensed or accredited by the U.S. Department of Education. Funds are not available for doctorate-level work.
- Grants between $2,000 to $12,000 will be awarded.
Career Development Grant funds are available for:
- Educational expenses.
- Living expenses.
- Dependent child care.
- Travel to professional meetings, conferences, or seminars, as long as it does not exceed 10% of the grant.
Career Development Grants are open to individuals who identify as women and:
- Are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Hold an earned (not honorary) bachelor’s degree.
- Received their bachelor’s degree on or before June 30, 2013.
- Do not hold an earned (not honorary) graduate or professional degree.
- Plan to enroll or are enrolled in courses/activities that are required for professional employment or advancement, and
- Plan to enroll or are enrolled in one of the following program types:
- Bachelor’s or associate degree program that is different from the field of study of the previously earned bachelor’s degree.
- Master’s degree program.
- Certification program.
- Technical school.
- Plan to enroll or are enrolled in one of the following fields of study:
- Health and Medical Sciences.
- Social Sciences.
The following criteria apply to the selection of Career Development Grants:
- Demonstrated commitment to education and equity for women and girls.
- Reason for seeking higher education or technical training.
- Degree to which study plan is consistent with career objectives.
- Potential for success in chosen field.
- Documentation of opportunities in chosen field.
- Feasibility of study plans and proposed time schedule.
- Validity of proposed budget and budget narrative, including sufficient outside support.
- Quality of written proposal.
- Applicant is from an underrepresented racial/ethnic background.
- Applicant is from an underrepresented area of the country and/or type of university other than a top-level research institution.
- Applicant is seeking credentials in a nontraditional field.
- Financial need.
Applicants are required to complete all components of the application.
Your recommendation must be submitted by a college counselor or adviser, an instructor or a work supervisor who knows you well. AAUW does not accept references from dossier services.
For more information, visit AAUW.