South African Plastics Pact Reuse Innovation Challenge 2021 (R500,000 prize)
Deadline: February 1, 2021
Applications are open for the South African Plastics Pact Reuse Innovation Challenge 2021. The South African Plastics Pact is looking for reusable packaging solutions that can be viably implemented by brand owners and retailers in South Africa.
This solution should be geared towards reducing the amount of plastic waste in South Africa, ideally addressing currently non-recyclable plastics or those that are often littered. The South African Plastics Pact is working towards a circular economy for plastics, a South Africa where plastics are valued and do not pollute our environment. Part of the solution is to increase the number of reusable packaging items used in place of single use packaging.
- Innovators with the best designs will be rewarded for sharing their ideas with a prize pot of R500 000 in cash. The prize money will be shared among a maximum of three winners, with the potential for product development or implementation assistance through partner companies from the SA Plastics Pact membership.
- Open to all packaging or product development designers and innovators, industrial designers, brand owners, retailers, entrepreneurs and
- Anyone who has an innovative idea or pilot project with regards to reuse delivery models.
Solution Types for Entry
- Competition entrants should submit their proposed designs of reusable packaging items and/or systems that would replace single-use packaging items at a B2B (business to business) or B2C (business to consumer) facing level. Designs should include the systems and mechanisms which would be used to complete the packaging reuse cycle.
- Innovations are not limited to physical products, but could also be systems or models for the reuse cycling of packaging items.
- Candidates with the most practicable ideas and designs that are viable and ready (or near ready) for implementation in the South African retail or FMCG sector will be chosen by the judges.
Winners will be selected by a panel of specialist judges including brand owners and retailers which would be the target business partners for implementing the reusable packaging solutions.
Some criteria that judges will be looking for include:
- Amount of single use packaging it will displace
- Ease of implementation
- Cost effectiveness
- Adaptability to different products or retailers
- Expected number of completed cycles
- Recycled content used & recyclability at end of life
Submit MS PowerPoint slides or a PDF document containing your design and all pertinent information supporting your packaging innovation. Enough visual and written information to convince the judges that your solution is practical and viable. This should also contain your contact details.
For more information, visit SA Plastics Pact.