Canon Collins Sol Plaatje Scholarships for Climate Justice 2021/2022 (up to R100,000)
Deadline: August 9, 2021
Applications are open for the Canon Collins Sol Plaatje Scholarships for Climate Justice 2021/2022. The Canon Collins Trust in partnership with Sol Plaatje Educational Project seeks to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in working to create an open and just society.
In 2015 the Trust revised its South African scholarship awards policy. They now offer scholarships only to those studying in three areas:
- Justice, which includes Law, Economics, Politics and the Environment
- Education: policy and practice
- Humanities, which includes Literature, History, Anthropology and the Arts
In 2022, climate justice will be a priority. Climate Justice related scholarship applications may be in a science or applied science field as long as the application can demonstrate its relevance to climate justice related matter
- In 2021, the value of the scholarship package will range from R20,000 to R100,000 depending on student circumstances. They support both full and part-time Masters and PhD level study at a South African university and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
- They also organise an annual conference for current scholars, and hold several smaller events throughout the year. Scholarship holders are expected to participate in these activities and to become part of and contribute to their network.
Eligible applicant must:
- be a national of, or have refugee status in, one of the following countries: Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe;
- be normally resident in one of the above countries;
- be in possession of a good first degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application;
- be studying or applying to study at a South African university.
The deadline for applications is at 15:00 BST on Monday, 9th August 2021. Late applications will not be considered.
For more information, visit Canon Collins Sol Plaatje Scholarships.