UNOSSC Youth4South – ICGEB Empower Fellowship 2021 (Stipend available)
Deadline: September 30, 2021
Applications are open for the UNOSSC Youth4South – ICGEB Empower Fellowship 2021. The United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC) under its Youth4South initiative and the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) have partnered to offer exchange visits to early-career female scientists from the Global South.
The exchange visits of 6-months are tenable at the ICGEB laboratories in New Delhi (India) and Cape Town (South Africa) or at other institutions based in an eligible ICGEB Member State. The fellows perform research work on biotechnology and related fields, including Health (Infectious Diseases and Non-Communicable Diseases), Sustainable and Effective Agriculture, Industrial Biotechnology and Renewable Energy.
- A monthly stipend of US$1,800 or equivalent.
- The fellowship includes provision for travel expenses from the participant’s home country to the host lab at the beginning of the fellowship and a return travel provision upon completion of the fellowship.
- Medical health insurance coverage is provided for the duration of the fellowship.
- Visa/permit of stay application and renewal costs are reimbursed.
- ICGEB makes no financial provision, nor can it provide administrative support for family members of participants in the program.
- Applicants must be nationals of an eligible ICGEB Member State, although priority will be given to candidates from Least Developed Countries;
- Applicants may not apply for fellowships to be undertaken in their country of origin unless working abroad at the time of application;
- Pre-doc and postdoc researchers may apply, although preference will be given to scientists having already completed their PhD/Master or equivalent;
- No age limit applies, but preference will be given to candidates below the age of 45;
- Good working knowledge of English is mandatory for fellowships at ICGEB New Delhi and Cape Town.
The main criteria for selection include the scientific excellence of the project, the qualities of the candidate’s CV and the potential benefit in terms of mentoring and acquisition of new expertise.
Note that you will be requested to upload the following documents in PDF format:
- Your full CV
- Written Statement from the ICGEB Group Leader or CV of the Principal Investigator of the identified hosting laboratory
- A valid identification document (passport or identity card)
- For visits to ICGEB Component laboratories, English Certificate (TOEFL, Cambridge or similar), if available. This document is not requested when scholastic education has been undertaken in English. Different language certificates might be requested by other host institutions.
Applicants should contact the ICGEB Group Leader of their choice in New Delhi or Cape Town or the Principal Investigator of the identified hosting laboratory in one of the eligible ICGEB Member States by sending a motivation letter and an outline of the proposed research project (2 pages maximum), to determine availability of laboratory space and define the proposal that will form integral part of the application. Proposed projects must be innovative and fall within ICGEB research domain namely.
For more information, visit Empower Fellowship.