Netflix & UNESCO Short Film Competition 2021 (up to $100,000)
Deadline: November 14, 2021
Applications are open for the Netflix & UNESCO Short Film Competition 2021. Netflix has partnered with UNESCO to launch a short film competition, “African Folktales, Reimagined,” to find the bravest, wittiest, and most surprising retellings of some of Africa’s most-loved folktales. They can’t wait to see what you’ve got.
Netflix and UNESCO believe that a great story can come from anywhere, and be loved everywhere. Africa has a rich heritage of storytelling and a young population that is ready to step up and tell Africa’s stories, in all their multiplicity. They are excited by the fresh new voices that are ready to tell the stories they were told by prior generations, to the world.
- The final 6 storytellers will each win $25,000; each of them will also receive a production budget of up to $75,000 to create their short film.
- The collection of winning films will be launched on Netflix in 2022 as an “Anthology of African Folktales, Reimagined.”
- Open to emerging filmmakers from the Sub-Saharan Africa region.
- You are under 35 years old;
- You are a filmmaker with limited experience, but have developed and produced 1- to 2 theatrical feature films, television fiction, documentaries, or 2-3 short films and/or commercials seeking to venture into feature film development and production.
Applications will close on 14 November 2021, at 11:59 PM (GMT). You will be required to fill out an online form. You will be asked to submit a CV, portfolio, creative statement, and short video about your film concept.
For more information, visit Netflix & UNESCO Competition.