African Development Bank (AfDB) Fashionomics Africa Contest 2022 ($6,000 total in cash prizes)
Deadline: March 1, 2022
Applications are open for the African Development Bank (AfDB) Fashionomics Africa Contest 2022. The African Development Bank Fashionomics Africa initiative’s second online competition is offering $6,000 total in cash prizes, mentoring, new branding packages and other support for winning African designers of sustainable and circular fashion.
Fashionomics Africa, in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Program, Parsons School of Design, strategic consulting and communications agency BPCM, and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, invite interested African fashion brands to apply to the sustainable fashion online competition. Entrants must be pursuing environmentally friendly measures, sustainability, and circular economy actions to qualify. The competition celebrates African fashion brands that will change how we produce, buy, use and recycle fashion and that encourage a more sustainable shift in consumer practices.
- The designer or design team submitting the “best sustainable design” will win $3,000 along with other prizes.
- Two other competition finalists will take home $1,500 each, plus other support.
- In addition to the cash prize, the winning fashion brand will receive a certificate and the opportunity to showcase its creation by taking part in online events and sharing insights on key sustainability challenges facing the industry.
- The winner will have access to a network of media insiders and industry experts and receive mentoring and networking opportunities from competition collaborators.
- The competition targets textile, apparel, and accessories entrepreneurs from Africa;
- Aged 18 years or older, who have launched fashion businesses (up to a maximum of 50 employees), and whose sustainable designs have been produced within the last five years.
- Qualifying applicants will submit pictures of their products, detail their sustainable business model, and explain how their startup is environmentally friendly and innovative.
A five-person judging panel representing the African Development Bank and competition collaborators will announce the three finalists by 22 March 2022. The finalists’ entries will be posted on the Fashionomics Africa digital marketplace and mobile application for public vote between 22 March 2022 and 7 April 2022. Polls close on 7 April at 23:59 GMT.
Applications must be received by 1 March 2022 at 23:59 GMT.
For more information, visit Fashionomics Africa Contest.