Deadline: April 3, 2022
Applications are invited for the ITU Generation Connect Gender Champions Competition 2022. The global competition seeks to select the first group of “Generation Connect Gender Champions.” The competition, funded by the Government of Canada, will select twelve (12) outstanding young women (ages 18-24) from developing countries (2 from each ITU region).
This competition is part of the preparatory process for the Generation Connect Global Youth Summit, to be organized by ITU in Kigali, Rwanda from June 2-4, 2022. The Summit is the overarching initiative of the ITU Youth Strategy on the journey to the World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC), to be held from 6 to 16 June, also in Kigali.
Generation Connect aims to engage global youth and encourage their participation as equal partners alongside the leaders of today’s digital change, empowering young people with the skills and opportunities to advance their vision of a connected future.
- Successful applicants will be expected to travel to the Generation Connect Global Youth Summit, to be held in Kigali, Rwanda from June 2-4, 2022. The cost of travel and accommodation will be covered by ITU.
- Before the Summit, the Champions will be expected to facilitate an online consultation on youth, gender, and technology. The results of this consultation will inform the development and hosting of a session for other young delegates and global policymakers at the Summit.
- After the Summit, there will be a second, action-oriented consultation process to co-create plans to empower young women and girls to meaningfully engage with ICTs and STEM. Thus, the Gender Champions will contribute to a shared goal of gender equality.
- Note that the expected commitment for these activities will be approximately 5-10 hours per week.
- Open to young women aged 18 to 24, from developing countries;
- Must be willing and able to attend the Generation Connect Global Youth Summit in Kigali, Rwanda from 2-4 June, 2022;
- Must have intermediate to strong English fluency;
- Must fill in all mandatory fields of the application form before the end date.
The applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee comprised of five members, including ITU staff. The Committee will evaluate each application based on the following criteria:
- 30% for Experience: To what degree has the submission demonstrated meaningful experience and engagement in STEM and ICT-related social causes?
- 25% for Motivation: To what extent has the submission demonstrated a clear motivation to serve under-represented groups?
- 25% for Communication: To what extend does the submission pitch engaging and meaningful ideas?
- 20% Creativity: To what extent does the submission leverage creative mediums and/or approaches to bridging the gender digital divide?
All interested applicants must apply by the deadline: 3 April 2022, 23:59 CET.
For more information, visit ITU.